Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day Korean Food

The food theme for today's gathering was Korean, and we had quite a spread.
Here're a few of the dishes. Didi made a bibim kook soo with soba noodles!
I made a tofu miso soup. I've posted the recipe in the blog post following this one.
Geri made this chap jae. I'll be posting the recipe tomorrow.
Geri's husband Teren made this Duk Bokgi. He got the recipe from this YouTube video. Duk is a Korean mochi and you know how I loooove mochi. This dish is one of my favorites.
Diem made this Sweet Potato Tapioca dessert. It was sooo yummy. I'll be posting the recipe later this week.
Nephew Daniel and his girlfriend Kenna made these cupcakes. So cute yeah!
Everybody brought some kind of pan chan (Korean side dish), but this was by far the most interesting. My sister Sweetie bought it from Palama Market. I was too scared to try it. Wendell liked it.
Nadine from the Sake Shop gave me this bottle of sake a few weeks ago. I busted it out today. I really liked it. It was light and fruity.
My cousin Karen Hayashida made these seasoned pretzels with Ranch Dressing mix. It's really, really ono. I'll be sharing her recipe later this week also.

14 comments:

renrr said...

Could you please post the bibim kook soo recipe?

jalna said...

Sure Renrr. I'll ask Didi.

Yosh808 said...

Hmmm...Can there be another Karen Hayashida out there? Your cousin isn't a short little japanese girl is she? Early thirties?

K and S said...

everything looks so good! my mom makes that pretzel thing too so ono!

jalna said...

Wow Yosh, there must be two. Karen is about my age.

Kat, the pretzel is so good, I have to remind myself to stop eating it.

Betty Townsend said...

Another fabulous feast! I eat bulgogi, bibimbop and mandoo. That's about all the Korean food I can have. Everything is always so spicey. So sad! :( I'd love to know how those pretzels are made. They look really yummy!

jalna said...

Betty, pretzel recipe coming up soon!

Leslie's pics said...

aren't you in your early thirties?? :) (haha, that's your mother's day gift from me). I'm warning you, I'm gonna show up unannounced to your family gatherings one day. I shoulda went yesterday, the spread looked ono!

Dd said...

Hi renrr, I will get the recipe to Jalna...I really shold write stuff down, the veggies...wakame, cabbage and choi sum, I dont have recipes for...little bit of this and that..so no exact measurements, but will get it done

bebedeer said...

omg, your photos are making my tummy rumble...i'll be looking out for the recipes!!

Unknown said...

Yum!, but I could have done w/out the close up of the mini crabs.. Hahaha I don't like crabs... they gross me out.

jalna said...

Fawn, it's funny that it was the first time for most of us to make our dishes.

Hahaha, Rick. Crabs ARE weird looking!

jalna said...

Thanks Les. That's DA BEST Mother's Day gift!

renrr said...

Thank you