Thursday, May 26, 2016

Wendell's Hainanese Chicken Rice

πŸ’Ÿ I like this one a lot!πŸ’Ÿ

Wendell saw this recipe on Facebook and decided to try it. I searched online and found the recipe here. It's one of those cool Tastemade videos that shows you real fast how to cook something. Make sure you watch the chicken video that follows after the rice video because the guy is cute.

This is actually a rice dish and calls for only one chicken thigh.  Wendell did it with four thighs and turned it into a meal. He used 2 1/4 cups uncooked rice, 2 1/4 cups water, 6-inch green onion, 1-inch thinly sliced ginger (Wendell's metric conversion x 1 1/2 . . . well . . . sorta).

There are three different sauces that you can serve with the chicken. All three are good, my favorite being the ginger sauce. The recipe for the sauces is also included. It's at the bottom. 

IMG_3417

  • 1 chicken thigh
  • 300 grams uncooked rice
  • 360 ml water
  • 10 cm piece green onion
  • coriander
  • fried onions
  • (seasoning)
  • 15 grams ginger, thinly sliced
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce
  • 2 tsp powdered chicken bouillon
  • 1 tsp oil
  • 1 tsp salt

    1. In a large skillet, combine washed rice, water and the seasonings. Give it a quick mix so ingredients are well combined. Add the chicken thigh and the stalk of green onion on top. 
    2. Cover and cook over high heat until boiling. Turn down the heat to low and cook for 12 minutes. Turn off the heat and let it sit covered for 10 more minutes. 
    3. Slice the chicken into 1 cm pieces and set aside. Discard the green onion stalk and mix the rice to combine the flavors.

    Serve with the below sauces along with some fresh coriander and fried onions.

  • (soy sauce)
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp oyster sauce
  • 1 tsp honey

  • (chili sauce)
  • 2 tbsp sweet chili sauce
  • 1 tbsp fish sauce
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice

  • (ginger sauce)
  • 2 tsp ginger, grated
  • 1 tbsp green onions, minced
  • 1 tbsp fish sauce
  • 1 tbsp sesame oil
  • 1 tbsp sugar

    Addendum:  This is the fried onions that Wendell got from Safeway. I forgot to sprinkle it on, but it was still delicious without.
    IMG_4549

14 comments:

Kay said...

Hmmm... This looks like a lot of work. You're so lucky Wendell does so much cooking.

Honolulu Aunty said...

Yum! My Thai friend used to make rice for me with lup cheong (gooood lup cheong from San Francisco). She would start by making rice in the rice cooker and just as it starts to bubble and cook, she would put slices of lup cheong on top of the rice, close the lid, and let the cooker finish cooking the rice. After it is done, the rice has the delicious lup cheong flavor and oil and she sometimes would put Chinese parsley on it, little bit of shoyu, and BAM! - simple delicious rice.

I used to try but I would forget to put the lup cheong in when it starts to boil and by the time I remember, the rice would be all cooked.

You so lucky - your family all cook SOOOO good!

mmiissee said...

It looks so delicious...
Reminds me of Cold Ginger Chicken.

K and S said...

yummy!

Susan said...

I like the cute guy's pot, it looks like mine with oil residue. Lol. Something worth trying !!

jalna said...

I agree, Kay . . . so lucky.

Oooh Aunty, that lup cheong rice . . . sounds so goooooood!!

Mmiissee, it IS just like Cold Ginger Chicken except it's hot.

Sooo yummy, Kat!

Hahahaha . . . okay, Susan, I didn't notice the pot. Oh wait . . . I did notice that the cover seemed too big. I gotta go watch again now.

Julie said...

I don't have fried onions (seasoning) ... Can I substitute or omit that or is it a must-have for best flavor? Thanks.

Mark Shelby said...

Very nice! Next time try red onions and it will be a spark in da mouth! And no tears! Let me know how you like them. ; )

jalna said...

Hey Julie! I added an addendum to my post regarding the fried onions. I was supposed to sprinkle some on before eating (and picture taking) but I forgot. It still tasted good to me.

Mark . . . you and your red onions! LOL!

Leslie's pics said...

uuuuuu i like try this...

DNakamaru said...

Another winnah!

jalna said...

I hope you get to try it, Dean!

Anonymous said...

I made this for dinner tonight! It was really ono! And pretty easy to make too!
Thanks for the recipe! V

jalna said...

Yay, V!!!