Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Satsuma Imo and Hyaluronic Acid


I've been buying Satsuma Imo (sweet potato) regularly lately mostly because I like them. Little did I know that they actually have health benefits . . . and it involves hyaluronic acid! I found the following info from here

A recent ABC report submitted that the Japanese people, who incorporate large amounts of herbs and vegetables in their diet, often enjoy wrinkle-free and radiant skin into their 80s and 90s.  Although there are no known herbs containing hyaluronic acid nor specific foods that contain hyaluronic acid, some starchy root vegetables, including Satsumaimo (a type of sweet potato), Konyaku (a type of gelatinous root), Satoimo (a type of sticky potato), have a greater impact on stimulating the body’s natural production of HA.  Like most whole fruits and vegetables, these starchy root vegetables help the body to retain moisture and assist the body in its own lubrication. 


IMG_2835

These two were $1.67/pound at Marukai and were $3.50 total. I steam them for around 1/2 hour. I guess you could eat the skin. It's probably healthier that way, but I peel them off because I'm too lazy to scrub them good. I leave the cut potatoes in a container in the 'fridge and I snack on um. 
IMG_2850

4 comments:

Honolulu Aunty said...

So glad to know about the health benefits of the potato and that you are having your dosage of it!

I was just listening to some expert on modern diets and he was mentioning about vegetarian diets being dangerous for some people because they crave nutrients and go crazy for sweets. He was like that, and when he started adding fats to his diet (healthy meats and oils) he actually started losing weight and felt better.

I thought of Wendell's deliciously tempting meats. Maybe eat them like they do in Korean dramas - wrap a piece of ono cooked meat in a lettuce leaf and feed it to each other, mashta!

Kay said...

Hmmm.... good idea! That is a very healthy snack.

jalna said...

Aunty, that's so interesting. I crave the mochi and the pork belly. And . . . nope . . . no feeding of each other. Wendell would think I'd gone nuts.

Unfortunately, Kay, I need to limit myself.

Susan said...

Interesting! My parents always ate sweet potatoes that way, but our generation had to make fries out of them ...hehe