Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Japan 6th Day - Ueno, Ginza

OMG, I feel as if I've been in hibernation for awhile and now that I'm up, I'm sooooo behind in life and I don't have enough time to catch up. Aiyaiyai. And so . . .  without further ado . . . more pictures from Japan!!

Here's my sneaky train shot on the morning of our 6th day on our way to Ueno.
IMG_5468a

After arriving, we stopped by this bakery for a quick bite to eat first. 
IMG_5471a

IMG_5469a

Here's what we got.  Mine is the french toast thing in the middle.  It was kinda junk.  Needed maple syrup or something.
IMG_5473a

IMG_5475a

IMG_5476a

Our first stop was Ueno Park.
IMG_5487a

IMG_5507a

IMG_5511a

IMG_5516a

IMG_5525a

IMG_5535a

IMG_5543a

After visiting the park we headed across the street towards Ameyoko Market.  I thought this "walk" signal was funny.
IMG_5545a

Here's Les looking at these vending machines.
IMG_5546a

Here's Les spending some money in a vending machine.
IMG_5548a

Here's Les spending more money in a machine.
IMG_5550a

More money.
IMG_5549a

I think she spent around 10 bucks trying to get a particular toy.
IMG_5551a

Here's the entrance to Ameyoko Market where we were guarantee gonna find the candies that people asked us to bring back.
IMG_5477a

Unfortunately, we didn't find any of the candies . . . not one.
IMG_5563a

But we did find this place where for 1000 yen, this guy would fill a bag full of assorted candies for you.  Leslie told me ahead of time that after he gets done filling your bag, you are supposed to yell "motto, motto" (more, more) and then he would add a little bit more.  So, of course, after he filled our bag I yelled, "Motto, motto!!!" really loud.  Guess what happened.  He said, "No."  Hah?  Ho, da rude.  Les said we got jipped.
IMG_5556a

Anyway, after not finding our candies and after getting jipped we walked into this restaurant for lunch.
IMG_5566a

I really, really liked our choice!
IMG_5567a

IMG_5577a

IMG_5578a

IMG_5580a

We then headed home to unload and rest up.
IMG_5582a

In the evening we headed out to Ginza to look for the restaurant featured in the movie "Jiro Dreams of Sushi", not to eat there (it starts at $300/plate), but just to get a picture of the restaurant.   If you haven't seen the movie, make sure you do, and watch it in HD.  The cinematography is unreal.
IMG_5587a

First, we stopped at Negishi for dinner.
IMG_5589a

We had to wait outside for a table, so the girl brought us some tea!
IMG_5592a

Leslie ordered the Negishi Set.
IMG_5595a

I ordered the Hamburger Steak Stew.
IMG_5596a

IMG_5599a

IMG_5602a

Then on we went searching for Jiro's restaurant.
IMG_5605a

We looked and looked, walked and walked. We narrowed down the location and asked for directions at every shop on the block (almost asking at the same shop twice). We just couldn't find it.  We almost gave up.  But I'm glad we didn't.  We finally sorta found it.  We had actually passed by this place several times.  It turned out that because the restaurant was closed, the gate on the left blocked us from even getting to and seeing the restaurant itself. It was a bit disappointing, but for me it was okay.  Just getting this shot of Leslie next to the sign was enough to say "mission accomplished"
IMG_1291

On our way back home we stopped by Shinjuku for just a little while.  Now talk about disappointing.  When I took this shot I never even noticed the "Used Camera" sign on the top right.  I woulda so wanted to check it out had I seen it then. Bummahs.
IMG_5613a

But nooooooo, I neva see um, so here we are on our way back home.
IMG_5614a

Next: Shibuya

8 comments:

jalna said...

Oops, sorry for those who commented. Dunno what happened but all my comments are gone now. Sorry.

mmiissee said...

That was unfair he didn't give you folks some more candy. Definitely rude!

DNakamaru said...

Excellent post!

jalna said...

Mmiissee, I believe he thought that he already did the "motto, motto", although we didn't think so.

Thanks Dean.

celia said...

Luv going on your trip with you. Thanks for sharing. I am still awed by the beautiful leaves.

Nippon Nin said...

I love Japanese trip post and I enjoyed this one too. Exciting to see places that I visited. I saw 'Jiro, dream of sushi'. I saving money so that I could eat there one day.

Erick said...

Cool shots! Love the food shots, especially the panda bread thingy and the grilled stuff.

jalna said...

Thanks Celia.

Akemi, I would love to travel to Japan with you!

Thanks Erick.