Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Michele's Hanamaulu-Like Chicken and CQ's Sausage


Michele and CQ, for want of a better job title, are our collating team at work.  They put together the doctors' reports and whatever images are needed in whatever format desired, and make sure that they are sent out accurately. Not an easy job, let me tell you.  Michele also doubles as our backup transcriber.  You already know that CQ is a mean cook.  Turns out Michele is one too.

Here is Michele's Hanamaulu-Like Chicken.  My photo doesn't do it justice.  No fancy plating or fancy lighting . . . taken as is . . . in a Ziploc container . . .  just before I scarfed it. It was super super ono, and do you know why?  It was soaked in liquor for 2 to 3 days!!  Hooo hooo Kimo . . . thinking of you.
IMG_3437

Here's Michele's handwritten recipe.  It's her aunty's version of Hanamaulu Cafe's chicken.  Sorry, no more time to retype it for you . . . got some crochetting I gotta do.  Jose bought 6 of my beanies!!   If I ever get around to making extra, I'll let you guys know.  I'm gonna sell um for only 10 bucks each.  Cheap yah.
IMG_3443

Here's CQ's sausage.  Do you know how she made um?   She got Italian sausage and removed the meat carefully, keeping the casings intact.   Then she cooked the meat with other ingredients and RESTUFFED IT.  Who in their right minds does something like that yah??  Dat's NUTS . . .  but talk about ono!
IMG_3697

Okay, so let me see if I can get this right.  In one pan she fried the sausage, some hamburger, egg, panko, garlic salt and pepper.  In other pan she sauteed spinach, minced garlic, onion and cooked rice in a little bit of oil.  She then combined half of the meat mixture (she used the other half to make some chili) with the spinach mixture and restuffed the casings.  Like I said, NUTS but ono.
IMG_3703

16 comments:

mmiissee said...

WOW! The food looks so good. I wish I could try them right now!

Kimo said...

Both the chicken and the sausage look great! I think I'm going to try CQ's stuffing in mushrooms and bake it.

jalna said...

Me too Mmiissee!!

Ohhhh, that sounds soooo good Kimo!

Erick said...

That looks so ONO. I need to try this one too.

jalna said...

Erick, can you bring the leftovers for lunch and call me?

Betty Townsend said...

Wow!! Both look so good...restuffing the sausage casings would be a tricky thing to do, I would think. Awesome idea, though.

jalna said...

I wonder Betty . . . do they sell casings?

Anonymous said...

Curious about the origins of this chix recipe ?

I recall a Chinese restaurant located in Hanamaulu Kauai that was well known for its fried chix.

jalna said...

Hey Anon, I just asked Michele and here's her response: Hanamaulu Cafe in Kauai has the original recipe, but it's a family secret. The recipe I have is from my Aunty in Kauai...that is the closest I found so far to the taste at the cafe.

Unknown said...

Actually, I mixed in a bowl :the raw itallian meat, beef, 1 egg, panko, garlic salt, warchester sauce and pepper..like makin meat loaf. Cooked that- and then in another pan, cooked w/butter, spinich, minced garlic, onion, cilantro..added the rice. Like fried rice. Then I mixed both mixtures together and stuffed. THEN I fried the sausages so that the casings were crispy..yumm. Yes..NUTs..but was good.

Anonymous said...

Cool, this is the same place afterall...had no idea that they were still in business, I recall eating there when I was little. It was funny how that name triggered that memory.

There was also a bakery nearby that made awesome coconut turnovers..so long ago !

Good to know that some things dont change :)

mmiissee said...

Thank you CQ for the recipe ^_^
I would love to make this....
Do you do catering? LoL
You should try out for...The Next Food Network Star?

Leslie's pics said...

man! Why am I always at a different office when all of this yummy food appears??

jalna said...

Sorry Les. Next time I'll try to remember to save for you . . . "try".

K and S said...

yikes! too much work on that sausage...but everything looks ono!

jalna said...

I know Kat!