Thursday, July 28, 2011

Ace Auto Glass

I am rarely a passenger in my own car, but I was just that this past weekend while running errands with Wendell.  That's how I got to see the crack in my windshield.   At first I thought (and hoped) that it was just some rubbish stuck on the glass.  But alas, no such luck.  When I got out of the car and rubbed my finger on it the "rubbish" didn't come off.  Crap.

I taped a dime next to it so that you can see the size of the crack.
IMG_5029

With me, when choosing a place to take care of stuff like this, convenience is at the top of my list.  I'm willing to forego "cheapest" for "most convenient".  Going out to Kalihi or Dillingham is not convenient.  So my first call went to Richard's Auto Glass on Young Street.  A guy named Roland answered my call and was so so so so nice.  He said that they could drop me off at work and pick me up, and he even gave me his cell number.  Unfortunately, they don't do patch work and could only replace my whole windshield.  I was so tempted until CQ said, "So you're willing to replace your WHOLE windshield because you can get a ride?"   Okay, okay she had a point. 

So I called Ace Auto Glass on Waimanu Street.  Karen answered my call and was really nice and helpful.  She said that if the crack was small enough they could repair it and that it would cost $65.
IMG_5006

So I dropped off my car at a little after 8 a.m. this morning, and about an hour later it was done.  They did a really good job.  From the outside you can barely see it any more.
IMG_5130

You can still see a little bit of it from the inside, but I'm pretty confident that it'll hold up for a long time.
IMG_5125

15 comments:

Erick said...

You smart fixing it early. I waited until the crack traveled half way up my windshield and costed me $400.

jalna said...

Yikes!! I thought that maybe I got an inferior-quality windshield, but in talking to people, it seems that it's not a rare occurence.

Leslie's pics said...

you should go get your car fixed all the time...you come back with goodies!! :) hee hee hee

jalna said...

HAHAHAHA!! Good thing the Melt Truck wasn't open yet. I woulda come back with even more stuff.

Anonymous said...

I heard the melt truck closed down and will start other endeavors like been part of that thing at Hank's Hot Dogs. Not confirmed though.

Betty Townsend said...

I've got a small crack like that on the driver's side of my van...its been there for a couple of years...it hasn't gotten any bigger, thankfully.

DNakamaru said...

Hi Jalna, my name is Dean Nakamaru and I've been enjoying your photography and your blog for a few months now. I am friends with Gail Fukada, which is how I found out about your blog. I decided to finally comment because today in the lobby (Pan Am building where I work) I ran into the mailman that you posted a while back. I couldn't help but say 'Hey, you the guy, the mailman!'. Then I explained myself and we had a good laugh. Then he said he'll mention it to you so I figured I better let you know.
Keep up the excellent blogging!!!!!
To be fair you may check me out at http://courtsdawnpatrol.typepad.com where I mostly blog about the surf and food and whatevers!!!!

jalna said...

Anon, the Melt Truck was parked on Ward and looked like they were gonna open for business, but I couldn't wait . . . had to get to work.

Years Betty!? I didn't think you could just leave it.

Hey Dean, nice to "meet" you. That's so hilarious that you recognized our mailman. I'm soooo glad you talked to him. I don't see him too much anymore ever since I started working later hours, but I did see him filling gas in his mail truck when I went to drop off my car at Ace. Funny. I was just thinking about Gail today. The last time I saw her was at the Palolo Hongwanji bon dance. I'm thinking of going to their bon dance tomorrow and was wondering if I would see her again. I love your blog. I'm not into surfing, but I am into food and you got some ono stuff on it. Thanks for taking the time to comment!!

Dd said...

Its not the melt truck thats closing...its another one...cant think of it right now, but its a dessert truck! They are going to join in and do A Girl and The Pig

Dd said...

Sorry...The Pig and The Lady...its a Pou Up Restaurant at Hanks...only during certan evenings..totally separate venue

Dd said...

K...Owner Andrew Le, former Sous Chef from Mavro, is the co-owner of Melt. It is gonna kill me trying to think of which pastry chef is shutting down her lunch truck to join this venue...arghgh..
http://thepigandthelady.com/

Anonymous said...

Andrew Le and Martha Cheng's The Pig and the Lady.

In Star Advertiser, 8/1st issue. Melt Truck co-owners Lindsey Ozawa and Martha Cheng. …..Melt has served its last gourmet grilled cheese sandwich.
Melt was one of the mobile eateries at the forefront of a growing food truck movement that has since blossomed into the monthly Eat the Street festival in Kakaako.
After word of Thursday's closing got out via social media…..

jalna said...

Awwww, you were right Anon . . . no more Melt!

Anonymous said...

FYI Came out in today's Star Advertiser: When Prima opened this week in Kailua, it marked the culmination of more than two years of planning for local restaurateurs Alejandro “Aker” Briceno and Lindsey Ozawa.
As co-owners of V-Lounge and the recently closed Melt food truck (they’re also minority partners in the new Heeia Kea Pier General Store & Deli in Kaneohe), the pair have worked hard to establish themselves as leaders of the next generation of culinary talent. Along with a talented team of hard-working friends, they hope to leverage Prima as a stepping stone to success

jalna said...

Hey, thanks for the update, Anon!