Saturday, June 11, 2011

Wendell's Beef Luau Stew


Wendell used the instructions from two separate recipes, so I hope I got this right.

IMG_2368

First rinse 2 lbs. luau leaves, trim off stems and thick veins.  Put in pot, cover with water and boil for about 5 to 10 minutes until leaves wilt.  Throw out cooking water and rinse again. Boil again in water with 1 tbs. Hawaiian salt and 1/2 tsp. baking soda added. Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and cook for one hour. Drain and squeeze out excess liquid.
IMG_2349

In a separate pot, coat 2 lbs. of boneless short ribs with flour, salt and pepper. Sear in hot oil until crispy.  Add one sliced onion. 
IMG_2353a

Dissolve 3 bouillon cubes in 3 cups of water.
IMG_2355

I cropped the picture so you could see the splash better.  Neat yah.
IMG_2355-2

Add the water to the meat/onion mixture and simmer until tender, about one hour.
IMG_2358

Combine the luau leaves with the stew.
IMG_2362

Anybody else still use Rena Ware?  This pot must be about 40 years old.
IMG_2365

14 comments:

K and S said...

wow that pot lasts long time, yeah?? food looks ono!

OkiHwn said...

Awesome!

Dd said...

Where does he buy the luau leaves from ?? BTW - I love my renaware....except, my handles are different ??

jalna said...

Kat, I googled "Rena Ware" cause I wasn't sure if they were still being sold, and they are.

Was good, Nate.

Didi, Wendell said he buys the luau leaves from Safeway, but I've seen um at Foodland too. The pots we have are Wendell's mom's, so they're even older than the set I bought back in the 70's.

Betty Townsend said...

Wow, so Ono looking!

jalna said...

Betty, I was kinda surprised that Wendell didn't add coconut milk, but he said that the recipe didn't call for it.

OkiHwn said...

jalna - don't use coconut milk in mine either.

jalna said...

Hmmm, Nate, maybe that's why I liked it!

Mariko said...

Wow. Looks great. I want to make that with some Tahitian Luau leaf. I had one episode of itchy throat and I have been too scared ever since.

jalna said...

I know Mariko, that's scary!

Pua said...

What kind of bouillon, beef or chicken? Looks ono.

jalna said...

Hi Pua. Wendell said that he used beef boullion cubes. It WAS ono!

Anonymous said...

AMAZING, thank you! It came put so ONO. 🤙🤙

jalna said...

Anon, great!!!