Tuesday, July 28, 2026

Miso Soup with Fried Eggplant

This recipe is not precise, but I wanted to share (and keep a record) 'cause came out good.  We had leftover won bok so I just added that in.

Thinly slice and fry an eggplant after salting and soaking in water (to remove bitterness, supposedly).  Set aside.

Add a pack of dashi and a pack of bonito flakes (in teabag) to 5 cups of water set on medium heat. Remove and discard the packs after 10 minutes or so.  Add 1/2 cup of sake, a few dried shrimp, little bit of dried wakame, thinly sliced daikon, cubed tofu and the fried eggplant.

Just before turning off the heat put 5 tablespoons of miso into a strainer and strain the miso into the soup.

IMG_6424

14 comments:

K and S said...

looks ono

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Thank you so much for sharing. Warm greetings from Montreal, Canada ❤️ 😊 🇨🇦

Anonymous said...

Looks good!

Izsmom

Chet Colson said...

the miso soup looks very hearty.

Susan said...

This reminds me of my sis in law. She would serve miso soup every night for dinner with the meal. Each night she would put a different vegetable or protein to change things up.

jalna said...

Sometimes I just want some miso soup!

jalna said...

Welcome!

jalna said...

Thanks!

jalna said...

I usually like more broth, but this was okay.

jalna said...

How cool is that!!

vickinags said...

love miso soup and been making it a lot lately too with tofu, enoki and aburage and like Susan's SIL, if I have, daikon, chicken, pork, carrot, cabbage, etc.
v

Honolulu Aunty said...

Looks so good! Do you watch Midnight Diner - a Japanese show on Netflix that has been on for quite awhile. In the very beginning he makes pork miso soup - and he put in the miso at the very end like you. It is a lot of work, neh?

jalna said...

Aburage!! Will pick up some for next time!

jalna said...

I loved Midnight Diner!