Saturday, July 22, 2017

Landon's Vegan Eggplant Casserole


Here's Landon's first vegan dish. Surprised me at how good it was. Landon just threw things together so there's no recipe.

IMG_1459

Lan sautéed some onions, green bell peppers and slices of this "sausage" which I got from Down to Earth.
IMG_1452

Then he layered it in a 9 x 13 inch pan with some eggplant, a couple patties of this chopped up veggie burger (Costco),
IMG_1456

pasta sauce (Down to Earth) and
IMG_1446

vegan fake cheese (Down to Earth). He also threw in some hash brown mix to thicken and seasoned with garlic salt and taco seasoning. He baked it at 325 degrees for about 1 1/2 hours.
IMG_1445

We're slowly discovering different vegan options, so we don't feel as lost as when we first decided to do this. It feels like we might be able to pull this off . . . for now. 

14 comments:

Kalin's Mommy said...

Good luck! The cheese doesn't look real.

jalna said...

I know, Mich! Landon tasted it right outta the bag and said "hmmmm". I didn't. Didn't wanna be discouraged.

Leslie's pics said...

that was guuuuuuuuud!!! thanks for letting me sample!

Honolulu Aunty said...

VERY good! I could become vegetarian with such a natural cook!

jalna said...

Welcome, Les!

Anonymous said...

Looks onolicious! I don't think my family and I could go vegan. For some reason I don't feel well if I don't get animal protein in my diet, maybe psychological. LOL


Izsmom

Anonymous said...

Be wary of the salt content...meat might be "healthier" then the sodium levels..prepared sauces
/mixes are high in sodium as are meat substitutes.




jalna said...

It makes it easier, Aunty.

We'll see yah, Izsmom.

I was thinking the same thing, Anon.

Anonymous said...

Morning star patties..sodium over 1300 mg.try using tofu or beans..mrs dash is amazing.

Susan said...

It looks really good. I think I can go vegan+seafood lol. Did that video you watched have anything to say about seafood?

Mark Shelby said...

Aloha ALL! I'm finally back home in San Diego. I started a long Summer road trip on June 12th. Just got home tonight. I have a whole lot of really fun Jalna Blogs to catch up on I'm sure! I don't have a smart phone or a lap top with WiFi, so I was in total internet withdrawals! ; )

SW said...

wow.. that doesn't look vegan and plant-based at all..yum!

K and S said...

looks good!

jenny said...

oh my gosh, this is great. now i can learn great recipes for you folks and you can tell me how it tastes...lol