Aww, sorry it didn't make it. I forgot about all your pokipines from before. I thought for sure was a citrus swallowtail egg since the egg was on your lemon tree. My son's pamphlet says they also call your pokipine the "passion vine butterfly" here in Hawaii. By chance any passion fruit vines nearby? -L
L, you are totally correct. There are passion fruit vines directly above my lemon plant. I suspected that pokipine didn't survive because he hatched on the wrong type of plant for him. I was hoping that the egg was a citrus swallowtail egg. Can you tell me . . . is this the swallowtail caterpillar?: http://jalna.blogspot.com/2014/04/update-on-my-lemon-plants.html
Yes that's the citrus swallowtail caterpillar! That one in the pic looks pretty old, like right before it turns into a chrysalis. Next time put um in a jar, it's pretty when it comes out. When they first hatch from the egg though, they look REALLY different. They sometimes call them the bird poop caterpillar. It really does look like. ..you know! Lol. The young caterpillar looks like a blob of grey, white, brown on the leaf. When it's almost going to change into a chrysalis, then it gets to be that bright green color that yours was. My son just caught a new one today on our Cara Cara orange tree. It's still in the bird poop phase. :) -L
kokuuma
-
you often see the word koku (rich) paired with the word uma (tasty)
whenever people are describing a savory foodthey'll say it is
"kokuuma"well, I needed e...
Downwinding 10-04-2026
-
Wind: Trades
Trades are light but looks good enough!
The road to riches!
pc: Braddah Eric
Energy on high!
Can!
A good run for me!
Brad...
Mixed Plate Friday (Vegas Edition)
-
Creamy Scrambled Eggs & Chicken Breakfast Sausage We had a morning flight
so we got served breakfast. For Hawaiian Airlines, there are entrees you
can get ...
AI Is Now Used to Scam People
-
I’m not back to blogging yet, but I thought this was something important I
should pass on.
An ad popped out the other day on my iPad that had Bill Gates,...
Latest family addition
-
My ceramic friend Rita gave me a young red footed tortoise/turtle that my
grandson named Max. We won’t know if Max is a boy or girl until he/she is
older....
Descanso Gardens, 4/2/24
-
Three out of four college roommates were able to get together. Our other
roommate, Mary, is from Mountain View and it would have been an eight hour
drive...
Delhi - Day 9
-
October 2, 2019
We had another full day in Delhi before we leave for Varanasi tomorrow.
Subie met us once again to take us on a mini tour around Delhi. ...
10 comments:
aw bummer:(
Yah, Kat.
Too bad.
Poor ting yah, Erick.
Aww, sorry it didn't make it. I forgot about all your pokipines from before. I thought for sure was a citrus swallowtail egg since the egg was on your lemon tree. My son's pamphlet says they also call your pokipine the "passion vine butterfly" here in Hawaii. By chance any passion fruit vines nearby? -L
L, you are totally correct. There are passion fruit vines directly above my lemon plant. I suspected that pokipine didn't survive because he hatched on the wrong type of plant for him. I was hoping that the egg was a citrus swallowtail egg. Can you tell me . . . is this the swallowtail caterpillar?: http://jalna.blogspot.com/2014/04/update-on-my-lemon-plants.html
Yes that's the citrus swallowtail caterpillar! That one in the pic looks pretty old, like right before it turns into a chrysalis. Next time put um in a jar, it's pretty when it comes out. When they first hatch from the egg though, they look REALLY different. They sometimes call them the bird poop caterpillar. It really does look like. ..you know! Lol. The young caterpillar looks like a blob of grey, white, brown on the leaf. When it's almost going to change into a chrysalis, then it gets to be that bright green color that yours was. My son just caught a new one today on our Cara Cara orange tree. It's still in the bird poop phase. :)
-L
L!!!! I actually have a blog post in my Draft file called "Bird Poop Caterpillar"!!! I wrote it around six months ago, but never did post it.
That's so funny! What happened to that guy? -L
L, I think he dried up. Am gonna post the pictures tomorrow.
Post a Comment