Monday, July 6, 2015

Didi's Salmon Flakes


My sister Didi has been working on her salmon flake creation for quite awhile. She announced to us recently that she thinks she is finally satisfied with her recipe. 

You can use it as a topping on rice or tofu. She even made an omelet with it. Below is her recipe. Thanks for sharing, Didi!

salmon flakes


Salmon (Sake) Flakes

6-8 oz. salmon filet, skin on
Hawaiian salt, as needed
½ c. sake
Sauce:
2 TB sake
2 TB mirin
2 TB soy sauce

Salt salmon generously, allow to sit overnight. Wipe any moisture off salmon. Place in skillet over medium heat with ½ cup of sake. Simmer until no liquid remains, about 6-7 minutes. Remove salmon from skillet. Remove skin and any bones. Return salmon to dry skillet with sauce ingredients, stirring well to combine; flaking salmon. Simmer; stirring until no liquid remains. Salmon should be completely dry and finely flaked (about 10-12 minutes). Optional to cook until bits of charred salmon appear (about 15 minutes). I like it that way !


12 comments:

Kalin's Mommy said...

Oh looks good, I just bought a little bottle from Marukai for Kalin's ochazuke. He loves it!

Nippon Nin said...

Great recipe! I love furikake!

jalna said...

I just bought a jar from Nijiya, Mich.

Me too, Akemi.

Kay said...

That does sound very delicious!

Honolulu Aunty said...

Looks SO deelish! Maybe I'll try and make it.

jalna said...

It does yah, Kay.

Hope you do get to try, Aunty.

K and S said...

yummy!

mmiissee said...

Thank you Didi and Jalna for sharing. Looks good!

jalna said...

I wonder if I dare try to make it myself, Kat.

Welcome, Mmiissee!

Leslie's pics said...

I sooo wanna try this!

jalna said...

Try, Les!

Erick said...

That looks like an ono recipe. Thank Didi.