Wednesday, February 19, 2014

More Sapporo Snow Festival . . . Sort Of


Ummm . . . I really dunno how it happened, but it seems that me and my sisters missed seeing a whole lot of sculptures at the snow festival.  When we got back home and saw other people's photos we were dumbfounded.  I was like, Whaaa?   Was that this year?

I think our radar was probably set for food and shopping and not so much on sculptures.

So, for what it's worth here's what we saw on our second to the last day in Japan.
IMG_1311a

IMG_1313a

IMG_1316a

IMG_1324a

IMG_1325a

IMG_1328a

IMG_1332a

IMG_1336a

IMG_1340a

IMG_1342a

IMG_1345a

I think it was about here that I said something like, "Was that enough sculptures? Pau, yah?"  Aiyaaaa!!  Oops!! 
IMG_1353a

And we left Odori Park to do some shopping.  We saw this Pencil Building.  Cool yah!  I mean it's not a HUGE, MAGNIFICENT, AWESOME SNOW SCULPTURE, but it is pretty neat . . . riiiiight??
IMG_1358a

I blame this diversion . . . SHOPPING.  This photo is in Tokyu Hands.
IMG_1356a

Here's Tanukikoji Shopping Arcade.  Again, better than some HUGE, MAGNIFICENT SNOW SCULPTURES that we flew thousands of miles to see . . . riiiiiight?
IMG_1373a

I was looking forward to eating what somebody told me was the best melons on the face of the planet, but it turned out that it wasn't in season, so I was reluctant to pay big bucks for um.
IMG_1377a

We stopped at a restaurant in Tanukikoji.  I don't know the name of the restaurant, but we picked a good one.  The food was goooood.  Only thing . . .  smokers . . . across the way from us. Made me appreciate the "no smoking" law we got here in Hawaii.
IMG_1362a

Looks good, hah?  Better than . . . never  mind . . .
IMG_1366a

IMG_1372a

Our last stop was Nijo Fish Market. 
IMG_1381a

IMG_1388a

I took all my pictures at the fish market from the hip.  I wasn't sure if picture taking was allowed so I did it sneaky style. 
IMG_1382a

We were beat by this time and hailed a cab to go home. And that's when two of my sisters took a flop.  I still laugh when I think about it.  If you haven't read it yet, the story is here

10 comments:

Anonymous said...


Hi Jalna,

Love seeing and enjoying your Sapporo trip photos... we were in Japan october, 2013, and the mellons were 7,000 and 8,000, so this must have been their peak season..

We did not dare spend THAT much ..

mahalo,
hilorain


jalna said...

OMG, Hilorain . . . how can people spend THAT much for a melon?? Holy Moly!

Erick said...

Wow, looks like you got some serious shopping and good eating at the snow festival. Cool how you didn't let the the snow sculptures distract you.

K and S said...

nice! Neva mind you neva see all the sculptures :)

jalna said...

Hahahaha. Thanks, Erick.

Awww thanks, Kat. Makes me feel better.

Honolulu Aunty said...

Aunty's philosophy is, "You seen one good temple, you seen enough." Same thing goes for snow sculptures, especially if food and shopping are calling!

Good choice, am thoroughly enjoying your trip through your lens and shopping bags!

jalna said...

Aunty, you are totally making me smile right now. Thanks!!

Dd said...

That SOBA was the BOMB !!!

Nippon Nin said...

So enjoyable to see japan with your point of view. So funny and fun to go shopping with you. And all those great looking foods. I want to know, how you missed seeing some snow sculptures? I know they are all white and big but...

jalna said...

HAHAHAHAHA!! Akemi, I swear to God, I have no idea how we missed those HUGE sculptures!