Monday, February 10, 2014

A Few Highlight Photos from Hokkaido

(more to come later)

Entrance to Nikka Whiskey Distillery.  So pretty yah!
IMG_1092a

Seafood Ramen from the Anthony Bourdain-recommended restaurant Hokkaido Raumen Yokocho.
IMG_1159a

We saw these bikes on our walk to the Snow Festival.
IMG_1309a

Snow sculpture at the Sapporo Snow Festival.
IMG_1345a

Food vendors were everywhere at the festival.
IMG_1232a

Snow angels made in a blizzard by my three crazy sisters as seen from our hotel room in Otaru.
IMG_1001a

Street vendor grilling scallops in Otaru.
IMG_0954a

My sisters laden with bags was pretty much a daily sight.
IMG_0938a

Double Fromage Cheesecake from LeTao in Otaru. OMG ono.
IMG_0916a

Luckily, we always had a choice.
IMG_0865a

Lake Shikotsu Ice Festival
Lake Shikotsu Panorama1

Grilled corn from the above festival.
IMG_0749a

I went outside of Aeon Mall in Chitose to take this shot and show you that I was eating a chocolate/vanilla soft serve ice cream cone in the freezing cold weather.  My ice cream got dotted with snowflakes and all I could think of was how cool it looked, and how neat it was that I didn't have to eat it fast before it melted.  It was very, very good BTW.
IMG_1411a

Sapporo City as viewed from atop Okurayama Ski Jump.
Sapporo Panorama1

View from our hotel room in Otaru.
Otaru Canal Panorama1


18 comments:

Leslie's pics said...

AAAAAHHHH!! I wanna go now!!! wait. So how were your sisters able to bring everything back?? They only had 5 lbs to spare in their luggage. Did they bring 2???

jalna said...

I know, Les!! I kept thinking of you. We all packed a second suitcase within the first one.

Anonymous said...

Impressive snow angels/ shopping bag carrying abilities/ and choices of facilities shots!!!!

Was thinking the coats would of taken up a lot of shopping space.

Lastly...how was the ramen? I recall that show:)

jalna said...

Thanks, Anon! You're right . . . the coats were cumbersome, and my camera strap and purse strap kept getting tangled up with the hood and the scarf. Made me so fussy all of the time. We had ramen at several places and ALL were really, really good. It left us craving more after we got back home.

DNakamaru said...

Wow! looks like an awesome trip!!!!!

We going japan in June!

K and S said...

love your photos!

Kalin's Mommy said...

2nd suitcase in one, we gotta always do that too, we buy tooo much stuff! Haha!

jalna said...

Ooooh so lucky, Dean!! I know you're gonna have a good time!

Thanks, Kat!

We had to hold back from buying in the end, Mich . . . especially the heavier stuff.

Erick said...

Wow, cool snow angles. Which one was you? Ice cream in the snow? must have been cold. Looks like you had fun.

jalna said...

Choke good fun, Erick!

jenny said...

How was the ramen?? Snow makes everything so pretty!

jalna said...

Jenny, the ramen was supa supa supa ono!

Randism said...

hokkaido is an awesome place; glad you enjoyed it so much!

jalna said...

Thanks Rand. I'm so glad we all got to go.

Nippon Nin said...

Oh my goodness! We have been to lake Shikotsu too. So nostalgic! I would love to visit Hokkaido again and have seriously yummy seafood! You guys are so lucky!

jalna said...

Akemi, somehow I always feel nostalgic in Japan. It's like I belong there . . .

Anonymous said...

What hotel did you use? Can you recommend a hotel for the snow festival?

jalna said...

Anon, we stayed at the Century Royal Hotel. It was perfect . . . right by the subway station and within walking distance to the snow festival. I would stay there again.