Sunday, September 21, 2014

Pi's Three Religions


I've been listening to the audio book "Life of Pi".  I'm enjoying the story so much that I'm listening to it for a second time. Below is an excerpt of one of my favorite quotes from the book. 

The pandit spoke first. "Mr. Patel, Piscine's piety is admirable. In these troubled times it's good to see a boy so keen on God. We all agree on that." The imam and the priest nodded. "But he can't be a Hindu, a Christian and a Muslim. It's impossible. He must choose."

"I don't think it's a crime, but I suppose you're right," Father replied.

The three murmured in agreement and looked heavenward, as did Father, whence they felt the decision must come. Mother looked at me.

A silence fell heavily on my shoulders.

"Hmmm, Piscine?" Mother nudged me. "How do you feel about the question?"

"Bapu Gandhi said, 'All religions are true.' I just want to love God," I blurted out, and looked down, red in the face.

2 comments:

Erick said...

I loved the movie!

jalna said...

I liked the visuals of the movie, but I liked the written story even better, Erick.