Sunday, May 27, 2012

Dehydrator Update

Kinda busy this weekend because of picture taking at the Special Olympics Summer Games.  But have no fear, the dehydrator project is still going on.   On the way home yesterday I went to the market to pick up stuff to try. 

I bought a daikon.  I figure'd it would be easy and fast to just slice it and throw it on.  I'm thinking tsukemono action.
IMG_6338

It came out looking like this.
IMG_6355

I added a shoyu/vinegar/sugar mixture to it.  Turned out pretty HORRIBLE. Maybe I gotta turn it into a kim chee.
IMG_6366

But check this out . . . I also bought a slab of meat!!  I feel ready for some beef jerky.  Hoo hooo!!
IMG_6341

I froze the meat for a few hours to make it easier to thin slice.  This is the best I could do.  Kinda too small yah? 
IMG_6345

The pieces that I couldn't get thin, I just smashed um to smithereens with this rubber mallet.  Maybe I shoulda smashed the whole thing to get it nice and skinny.
IMG_6347

You know I'm not really a cook, yah . . . so I used this sauce to soak the meat in.  Waaaay easier for me.  Plus I'm lazy.
IMG_6350

I added some pepper.
IMG_6352

I did the prep last night.  Now it's about 3:00 in the afternoon and we're ready to DEHYDRATE!!
IMG_6555

Cross your fingers!!   Smells really good.   I'll let you know tomorrow how it turns out.  Memorial Day Holiday!!
IMG_6557

8 comments:

Leslie's pics said...

oooooh can't wait!!

Kalin's Mommy said...

Can't wait for the samples!

K and S said...

crossing fingers and toes it works!

Erick said...

That look really ono. Can't wait for the taste test.

Dd said...

wow....and it is small enough to sit on the counter?? chuck ?? hummm

AKLSKL said...

Everything looks good and fun to experiment! even the daikon. haha. We have some hayden mangos if you want to try something sweeter; but they're pretty ripe.

ps. We opened the space needle. There's a bunch of sheets to go through to complete it. Once Sarah and I finish it we'll shoot over a pic. Also, after we get through the pretzel box, I'll let you know how that goes. lol

jalna said...

Les, I'm bringing some to work tomorrow!

Tomorrow Mich!

Thanks Kat.

Check out the next post Erick.

It's not too big Didi!

jalna said...

Thanks Aaron! I love to experiment. Good luck with the Space Needle! Hahaha.