Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Stress

I was stuck in traffic driving home. It was about 6:30 p.m. I was on King Street near Star Market. I needed to be home by 7:00 so that I could pick up Wendell to drive him to the airport. He's going to Vegas with guys from one of his softball teams. I smell something burning. I'd been noticing that smell lately, but it usually goes away, and then I'd forget about it until I smell it again. It was especially strong tonight. My cell phone's dead. Battery ran out. I can't call Wendell to tell him I might be late. My bad.

Dunno what else to do but drive on. I finally make it to the on-ramp by the Humane Society. The smell goes away . . . like usual. I make it home by 7:00. Wendell's truck isn't home. Whatda??? As I'm getting out of my car, wondering if something's wrong with my car and wondering wheredahell Wendell is, he comes blazing in and parks behind me.

So I ask him, "What time were we supposed to leave?" He says, "7:30 . . . I'm stressed". HE'S stressed. Landon had made some baked spaghetti, so I make myself a plate. Wendell is runnin' around like a chicken without a head.

It's now 7:15 and Wendell yells out, "Are you done eating?" I say yes. He says, "Can you go online and get me my boarding pass?" I think, "ARE YOU FRICKIN' KIDDING ME?" I say instead, "How do you do that?" He says, "Just go to 'Hawaiian Airlines' and put in my code." He tosses me some papers. I go to the site and try to figure out what to do. I say, "Soooo, am I checking you in?" He says, "I guess so. . . . and oh yeah, can you pay for my bags too." He tosses me his credit card and goes into the shower. I maneuver my way to the "bags" section. I scream ('cause he's in the shower, not 'cause I'm mad), "How many bags do you have?" He says, "Two." I print the boarding pass and whatever else I can.

It's now 7:35, Wendell is still in the shower and Landon comes home. He says, "Hi mom, are you taking dad to the airport or am I?" I say, "YOU ARE."

11 comments:

RONW said...

is Star supermarket still open, since you said you drove pass there. [ i dunno ]

jalna said...

Hmmm . . . now that you mention it, I'm not sure.

Betty Townsend said...

A girl after my own heart. One can only take so much stress and then its "pass the buck". Landon came home just in time. Hope Wendell made his flight ok. The burning smell in your car doesn't sound good.

Dd said...

Get your car checked !!!

Leslie's pics said...

hahahahaa! classic...so what was the burning smell? I thought you were gonna say you came home and your car was smoking or something :) Have fun on your vacation.... :(

Unknown said...

holy crap...well look at the bright side,no need come to work for the next week! You can meditate, do yoga, climb a mountain...do whatever brings down your blood pressure! Hee,hee.

jalna said...

Betty, I think Wendell made it out okay. I haven't heard from him. I wonder if he forgot his contact lens though. I see the soaking container on the dresser.

Didi, I will have it checked but my repairman is busy until Friday. Maybe I'll borrow grandpa's car for now. Hope his cannot-shut-off-alarm problem is fixed.

Les, here's my theory. I only smell the "burning" when I'm stuck in traffic and not while I'm traveling at a decent speed. I think a fan belt broke and my fan cannot cool my engine. When my car is moving, the wind flowing through the front of my car cools it enough so that I don't get that smell. I like that theory 'cause it sounds the cheapest.

Thanks CQ!

K and S said...

I wonder if you need to change your oil. going home traffic is something I definitely do not miss about hawaii.

jalna said...

Kat, good suggestion. I'll go through my receipts in the glove compartment.

susie said...

thanks you made this very crazy day seem normal. i'm glad to know it's not only my house that's nuts!!!

jalna said...

susie, your house is skoshi more nuts than mine :)