Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Corporal Punishment

My son Landon advised me to never, ever take any pictures while I'm driving. Excellent advice. I was at a stop light awhile back though when I saw this bumper sticker on the car in front of me. Since I was stopped, I figured it was okay, so I zipped open my backpack/camera bag/purse, dug out my camera and snapped this shot. I thought it was so funny.

My mom never whacked us with a rubba slippa. She preferred a hanger or a yardstick. I preferred getting hit by the yardstick. The hanger hurt like hell and the yardstick usually broke, cutting your lickings short.

Mr. Nitta, my 6th grade teacher, possessed a huge paddle although he rarely used it. When he did use it, it would be just one loud whack on the butt in front of the whole class. And you had to sign the paddle after your punishment. No girls ever got hit, only boys.

Off the subject, but talking about Mr. Nitta's class - one of the projects we had in Mr. Nitta's class was to put together an insect collection. We each had to collect a minimum of 20 different insects. I used a cardboard cigar box to house my collection. Jason Arakawa's dad constructed a wooden display case for Jason, complete with a glass top . . . sooooo show-off. I had accumulated quite a nice collection, but on the day before the project was due I still only had 19 insects. I saw a mosquito flying around on the window screen, and although I already had a mosquito I caught it. I labeled one "male" and the other "female" . . . soooooo smart, yeah. I got a C-.

7 comments:

Leslie's pics said...

hahahahahaaaa!!! sooo funny!! I liked the yardstick too, for the same reason. Usually one whack and the thing broken yah?? They got smart and started to use the belt after awhile. That's when you run round and round the table hoping they don't catch you!! :)

jalna said...

HAHAHAHA, I can just imagine you running around the table . . . funny! My mom nevah used a belt. I think she probably nevah know how to use 'um good. Once while I was getting whacked, I remember thinking "I'll show her . . . I not going even cry." But then she started hitting me even harder. So that's when I learned you just gotta wail away, the louder the better!

Dd said...

golly, I so remember hearing the rustling in the closet from our bedroom and we knew what was about to come....
ummmm..... I got wacked in Mr. Nitta's class, as everyone after me could see, since I had to sign that paddle....

Betty Townsend said...

So funny, you two. My mom used a yard stick too. I didn't get a lot of spankings. I was spoiled by my father and the two of them would get in an argument if mom was going to spank me. Although this one time my father hit me across the back of my legs with a broom handle. The fact that he hit me was worse than being spanked. I deserved it. hahahaha!!!

jalna said...

Didi, you got paddled by Mr. Nitta? I nevah know that.

Betty, OUCH!

OkiHwn said...

Gtowing up my mother had this thing that was called a sau tung (sp) by the Chinese here. It was a thin strip of bamboo about 6 feet long, folded in half, and tied with smaller strips of bamboo. Very flexible and very sore. My mother used to whack us on the back of the thighs, not to hard, but the sting was bad.

jalna said...

Wow, 6 feet long! Hard to escape that. I'm glad my mom didn't have one of those. Nate, I'm curious . . . was it made specifically for whacking or did it have a primary use like hangers and yardsticks AND rubba slippas do?