Tuesday, October 6, 2026

Kauai Salt Pond Restoration

Storm surge from Hurricane Lowell has caused significant damage to the dunes that help protect the last-remaining traditional Hawaiian salt-making area of Kauai's Salt Pond. 

22 families of Hui Hana Pa'akai o Hanapēpē manage the site, harvesting pa'akai (solidified sea salt) using natural underground ocean wells and clay-sealed beds.  Following sacred cultural traditions, this salt is only gifted or exchanged, never sold.

The Hui has organized a community restoration event to be held on Saturday, October 10, 2026.


Community Restoration Effort
  • Cleanup Date: Saturday, October 10, 2026
  • Time: 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
  • Location: Meet at the big pavilion (site access is permitted for volunteers assisting with recovery)
  • Activities: Clearing debris, redistributing sand, and rebuilding the protective dunes ahead of winter swells.
  • What to Bring: Volunteers are asked to bring their own shovels, hoes, buckets, gloves, wheelbarrows, and drinking water. Lunch will be provided.

6 comments:

Chet Colson said...

I love my pa'akai with onions, when eating Hawaiian food.

K and S said...

hoping they can save the area

Honolulu Aunty said...

I hope tons of people show up. A bit too laborious for me - using the old lady excuse.

jalna said...

🤤

jalna said...

Me too!

jalna said...

I no can anymore. I'd probably get hurt.