Thursday, December 29, 2011

My Eggplant Tsukemono


Wendell made an eggplant dish for dinner one night and there were about four leftover eggplants that he didn't use.  Not wanting them to go to waste, I used them to make this tsukemono.  I found a recipe at BellaOnline.  It came out kinda sweeter than I expected but it was still good.


IMG_7591

Slice the eggplant about 1/8 inch in thickness, sprinkle with Hawaiian salt and let stand for about an hour. I peeled the skin with a peeler in a striped pattern.  Don't ask me why. I have no idea why I did that.  I put the slices in my press, but you don't have to.  I ended up squeezing the liquid out by hand anyway.
IMG_7387

Combine 2 tsp. dry mustard with 2 tsp. water.
IMG_7390

Dissolve 2 Tbsp. shoyu, 2 Tbsp. mirin, 2 Tbsp. sake and 2 Tbsp. sugar.  Add to mustard/water.
IMG_7395

After an hour or so, rinse the eggplant in some water (to remove the salt) and squeeze the liquid from the eggplant. Add the shoyu/mustard mixture.  Allow to marinate in fridge for at least 8 hours before eating. 
IMG_7404

It's a great way to use up leftover eggplant.
IMG_7596

11 comments:

Erick said...

So easy and ono looking!

jalna said...

My kind of recipe Erick!

DNakamaru said...

Looks good! And I like that bowl!

Dd said...

How did you find that website? ..she contacted me couple of years ago, bought both cookbooks and asked me if she could post some of my recipes....of course I gave my permission....

jalna said...

Thanks Dean. I found the bowl at the swapmeet.

Didi, I just looked online. But took me kinda long to find a simple recipe that I liked.

Betty Townsend said...

Oh, yum! Love eggplant!! Love your bowl too. I am on a hunt right now for some unique shaped bowls like yours for a project I want to do.

jalna said...

I love eggplant too Betty. Project with bowls? Sounds interesting.

mmiissee said...

ooooohhh yummy... I love eggplant

jalna said...

Me tooooo Mmiissee!

Leslie's pics said...

ooh that looks yummy...I always steal samples when we're in Japan or Shirokiya (when they got um!)

jalna said...

Hahaha, me too Les.