Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Miso Daikon Nabe


Wendell made this for tonight's dinner. The recipe is from the Gochiso Magazine that I just brought home from Nijiya Market. The dish in the magazine didn't have as much broth as Wendell's version, but I really liked his because it tasted like a fancy miso soup.


14 oz. sliced shabu shabu pork
21 oz. daikon
2.8 oz. fresh shiitake mushrooms
3.5 oz. carrots
2.8 oz miso paste

[A]
2 beef stock cubes
4 cups water

[B]
2 tablespoons sake
2 tablespoons mirin
1 tablespoon soy sauce

[1] Slice the daikon into 1-inch thick pieces. Cut the shiitake mushrooms into decorative shapes.
[2] Cut the carrots into thin, half-moon slices.
[3] Place [A] and carrot into pot and cook. Once the liquid starts to boil, add pork and scoop out the scum.
[4] Place half of the miso, [B], and the vegetables from [1] into the pot. Simmer for 30 minutes. Add the remaining miso, the daikon and the mushrooms and simmer for awhile longer.

7 comments:

Val said...

I see renkon in the soup but no renkon in the recipe. How much renkon did you put in. Did you peel and then parboil the renkon?

jalna said...

Hey Val, I had to google "renkon" . . . hahaha, didn't know that's what they call "hasu" which is what I know it as. Anyway, I asked Wendell, and he said he used two small renkon stalks. He used a potato peeler to shave off the outside a little and he said he didn't parboil it first. Good luck with making it. It was ono!

K and S said...

yummy! in a couple of weeks I think it will be "cool" enough to start eating foods like this.

Erick said...

That is the ono-est miso soup I have ever seen. This is another recipes by Jalna I need to put on my must make list. My list is getting very long. Thanks for the recipe.

jalna said...

Kat and Erick, Wendell's been eyeing a few more recipes from the magazine, so we might be having Japanese food for awhile.

Betty Townsend said...

Oh, wow!! This looks so good! You know, if I lived back home, I'd be inviting myself for dinner every night!! hahahaha!!

jalna said...

Hahahaha. Betty, I'll tell Wendell what you said. He'll get a kick.