Sunday, January 12, 2014

Wendell's Ground Pork and Tofu Patties


Wendell got the cookbook, Harumi's Japanese Cooking, as a Christmas present from his coworker, Darren.  I looked through the book and asked Wendell to make this dish, and he did!  Harumi actually made kebabs, but Wendell chose to make patties instead.


IMG_0358

12 oz. firm tofu
2 oz. green beans
small bunch fresh mint leaves
small bunch fresh cilantro leaves
6 oz. ground pork
1/4 c. finely chopped onions

For the marinade:
2 tsp. fish sauce
1 tsp. shoyu
1 tsp. juice from grated ginger
dash salt
2 tbsp. vegetable oil

Wrap tofu in paper towels and place in strainer for 30 minutes to remove excess water.

Boil green beans until they are just cooked. Cut into 1/2 inch pieces.

Chop the mint and cilantro roughly and mix.

Put the ground pork and the marinade into a bowl and mix by hand.

Break the tofu into small pieces and add to the pork mixture along with the beans, cilantro, mint and onion. 

Shape into patties and fry in oil until brown.

11 comments:

Dd said...

yummm....so....Wendell showed me her 1st book that he got the other year...I loved it, thought I would cook everything in that book.I ordered it book from Amazon !!!

jalna said...

Did you ever order the second book, Didi?

Kalin's Mommy said...

Sounds good - minus the mint and cilantro! :)

jalna said...

Mich, I actually had to ask Wendell if he put those in 'cause I couldn't taste um.

Erick said...

Looks ono!

K and S said...

sounds easy and looks ono!

lance said...

Looks really good. If Wendell would like to try, substitute the pork with surimi. And add diced water chestnut and green onions to most of the other ingredients. Egg as binder. - lance

jenny said...

Where's the verdict! How did it taste??

jalna said...

Go try um, Erick!

Kat, Wendell made this and salmon burgers on the same day!

Wow, Lance. That sounds wonderful!

You right, Jenny. I neva even say how ono it was. I really, really liked it. I'm thinking that brushed with a teriyaki sauce woulda been good too.

Nippon Nin said...

Looks so juicy! What a great recipe... I have to minus cilantro too but not mint.

jalna said...

I didn't even taste the mint, Akemi. That seems like a strange ingredient for this recipe to me. I really liked the beans in it.