Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Hokkaido Ramen Santouka


I was watching LA Ramen on KIKU TV the other night.  It showed what they thought were the top ten ramen places in LA.  By the time they got to their No. 1 pick - Hokkaido Ramen Santouka in Torrance - I was totally in the ramen-eating mood. 

And so, since I was off yesterday guess where me and my mom went for lunch?  Hokkaido Ramen Santouka at the Kaheka Don Q.   It was our first time there.

IMG_0978

They open at 11 am.  We got there at 10:45 and were the first ones in line!!
IMG_0979

IMG_0980

IMG_0981

My mom ordered the saimin.  She really enjoyed it.
IMG_0983

I ordered a small miso ramen.  The broth was good . . . tasty and not too salty. The noodles were perfect, and I really liked the crunchy fungus thing.  I wouldn't give it five stars though 'cause the egg (which I paid extra for) was a little too runny for me and the meat was not really melt in your mouth like Gomatei's.
IMG_0984

The gyoza was just okay. 
IMG_0987

One other thing . . . it's kinda crowded in there.  The guy sitting to my left side was about half an arm's length away.  And so, of course, while I was getting my money out of my wallet/coin purse, it slipped and fell to the ground spilling dollar bills and coins (swap meet money) at my feet.  My right side was blocked by a wall, so I had to tell the guy "'scuse me" while I placed my head on his lap so that I could retrieve my money.  Okay . . . maybe not on his lap . . . but almost . . . 

Still, I would go back again, but not if got line.

18 comments:

Kalin's Mommy said...

You should try Marukame Udon in Waikiki. Kalin loves it there! There is always a line, but it moves fast...you need to eat Japan style - get to business and no talking story...slurp slurp slurp and get the hell out! LOL.

1DecentApple said...

SMALL ramen? At least you're not completely depriving yourself of what to me is the best food in the world....noodles. I've been wondering about that place and I've seen where the line of people waiting to get in practically extends into the DonQ parking lot. Hmmm...Maybe gotta check it out one of these days since it's close to work. I love Gomatei too, especially the Tan Tan ramen.

jenny said...

lol glad you got to try and liked it! You're lucky you didn't have to wait...this place is crazy busy all the time! Loved the end of the story - just feels like classic jalna. :)

Lorna said...

I watched the same program! The "char siu" in Japan is not what we are used to; it's just roast pork that honestly, doesn't have that much flavor. But I loooooove ramen. Here on Kauai, the best ramen (of course, it's always called saimin here) is the won ton min at Tip Top Restaurant. The dashi is perfect, and they put oodles of won bok and mustard cabbage in there, plus 4 big won ton, plus slices of roast pork, and half a fully cooked boiled egg! Yummy.

Anonymous said...

Too bad your mom isn't a photo bug like you or that picture of you and the guy next to you would have been classic!

I like the Hokkaido Ramen on 12th Avenue in Kaimuki. Cheap, plenty, ono. Not the high end kind of Japanese place, but still, oishii!!

Summer time, their cold noodle salad is super refreshing - different from any place, maybe because the owners are Chinese or something.

Now I am hungry for noodles.....

Honolulu Aunty said...

Oh, solly, Jalna. That comment was me, Aunty.

jalna said...

Somebody else recommended that place, Mich. I gotta go check it out someday.

LOL Al, I usually can't finish my ramen, so the small size was perfect. I think it's because I love the broth and that's what fills me up.

Yah Jenny, I'm not good at waiting to eat, so it is a good thing we got in fast.

Ooooooo, that sounds to good, Lorna!

Aunty, he actually was kinda old . . . maybe mid 80's, so it totally musta been a sight. When you said "Hokkaido Ramen" in Kaimuki, I just couldn't picture where it could be. Then I remembered! I've never tried there before. Hopefully soon.

Myko said...

Hamura's still #1 for ramen on Kauai Lorna.

Jalna - My top three ramen places are Kiwami Ramen (Shio Tsukemen), Ramen Nakamura (Oxtail Ramen) and Agu Ramen (Kotteri Ramen).

jalna said...

OMG Myko, I haven't been to any of those places!!

Randism said...

honestly, i don't know why it's so popular; just my two cents but i thought it was okay; thanks for the review! gatta add it to Yelp!

jalna said...

Rand, now I wanna try the three places recommended by Myko.

K and S said...

wow the place sounds teeny...

Erick said...

I love the pork cheeks, so soft and ono. The fungus thingy is good, like the half cooked egg too, it is kind of runny. The place is really small and cramped. Ramen is good, service is fast. But my favorite is still Gomachi, best tan tan ramen.

jalna said...

Kat, small but really nice how they how they have it set up.

I haven't been to Gomachi yet either, Erick.

Susan said...

They have one in Makati. Went in August. I thought it was a tad bit salty. When I got tired of the local food ramen was a good substitute. Yeah, they're known to have long lines too but maybe because it's a chain ramen place. I still prefer my local ramen place back home : )

jalna said...

OMG Susan, after reading your comment I checked to see just how many branches they have. They got CHOKE!!!

Nippon Nin said...

Wow I suddenly got urge to make ramen. Looks good!

jalna said...

I bet you must make a good ramen, Akemi!