Monday, April 23, 2012

Misoyaki Butterfish


Hard fo believe I made this yeah!  First time.  I actually wanted to buy the already marinated butterfish, but it was $21 per pound at Marukai.  That's ridiculous! 

So I decided I would try and make it from scratch myself, and enlisted the help of CQ and Didi. After a few text messages I was good to go.
IMG_4260

I paid $16 for this amount of frozen butterfish that was selling for $8.99 a pound.  That's more reasonable.
IMG_4186

Combine 1/2 c. sugar, 1/4 c. sake and 1/4 c. mirin and simmer for around 2 to 3 minutes.
IMG_4188

Remove from heat and add 1 tbsp. shoyu and 1 c. miso.  You're supposed to add the miso slowly so that you can get it creamy easily, but I forgot, and ended up spending a bit of time smashing all the lumps out.
IMG_4192

Then you're supposed to marinate the fish for 2 to 3 days, but forget that . . . who plans that far in advance anyway?  I marinated for about 1/2 day.
IMG_4193

I baked the butterfish at 450 degrees for about 20 minutes, then broiled for a few more minutes to get that koge look.  Came out good . . . shocked da hell outta me!
IMG_4249

15 comments:

:) josefina :) said...

I don't care for butterfish, but that looks ONO! Maybe use the marinade on something else? mouth watering...

Randism said...

ha! ha! that's funny. mmmmm. miso butterfish is one of my all time favorite dishes!

DNakamaru said...

Looks super good!

Betty Townsend said...

This looks awesome!! Good Job!!

jalna said...

It'll probably be good on salmon too Jos.

Mine too Rand.

Thanks Dean!

Awww, thanks Betty.

Kalin's Mommy said...

Wow it looks like something you could get at "Izakaya Nonbei". Pretty soon you can open your own restaurant! :)

jalna said...

Hahahaha. . . funny Michele!

Anonymous said...

Looks nice and tasty!!!!! Love miso butterfish. To make the miso mix in the broth easier, try using the wire mesh strainer. I put the miso in there and let in sit in the broth and mix. That way the big grains of miso stay in the strainer and the miso breaks apart nicely into the broth. No clumps in the broth. Guess you call it a strainer. I use the one people use to put the ramen noodles in and put in the boiling water for individual servings of noodles.
Now that I know you're a Marukai member, try this. Easy, fast and tasty. Buy the maki sushi, tobiko eggs and smoked salmon (in the long open freezer section between the veges and meat sections next to the closed area). Lay the smoked salmon and tobiko eggs on top the maki sushi. Oh, and a dab of wasabi first. ONO!!!! And look classy. LOL!!!! -lance

K and S said...

yum!

Erick said...

Congrats! The pictures look so ono. Making me hungry.

jalna said...

Thanks for the tips Lance!! Your sushi sounds like da bomb!

It was good Kat!

Thanks Erick!

Nippon Nin said...

This looks so good! My son was putting foods in new refrigerator from old one and he thought the miso paste was gone bad and threw it away. I only found out about it when I tried to make miso soup the other day. He is crazy!

jalna said...

Oh no Akemi . . . kinda hard to make miso soup without miso!!

Les said...

mmmmmmmm my favorite!!! :)

jalna said...

I didn't know that Les!