Saturday, April 21, 2012

Katsuobushi Kezuriki

I got a Katsuobushi shaver!!  One real one!! Lance dropped it off yesterday.  What an awesome surprise yeah!!!  Thank you, thank you, thank you Lance . . . you're so thoughtful!

Doesn't it look cool!!
IMG_4165

Here's the blade that's inside of the box.
IMG_4169

At first all I got was this . . . not really flakes, but way better than my earlier attempts with the carpenter's plane.
IMG_4173

But after awhile I did manage to scrape off some flakes.  Hooo hooo!!! I'm sooo happy!
IMG_4183

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you like it and enjoy it!!!! Also, glad it works for you. Guess it takes practice....LOL!!!!! -lance

Yosh808 said...

Ooooh! The bits and pieces that you shaved off at first would make a great broth I imagine. Then top it off with the shaving pieces...ooooh. I'm drooling already!

jalna said...

I just love it Lance! Thank you so much!

Ooohhh sounds good Yosh.

K and S said...

so cool!

Dd said...

Sweetie likes to sprinkle ontop of her tofu !

Kalin's Mommy said...

Yum, Soft tofu, grated ginger, and katsuoboshi flakes on top with a little shoyu...

Erick said...

How cool is that?

Les said...

pretty soon you and Wendell can open up your own restaurant!

jalna said...

It is Kat!

Me too Didi!

Yumm Michele.

So cool Erick.

Funny Les!!

Nippon Nin said...

Really neat item! It's looks like antique. Is that katsuo came with the shaver?

jalna said...

Is it antique Akemi? I works really good. A different friend gave it to me to use.

Dd said...

Kinda looks like that grater I bought ?? hummm

jalna said...

It does yah Didi. . . hmmm . . .

Anonymous said...

Looks the same, but the blade makes all the difference. I think the grater blade is a steel mix, while the katsuboshi blade is carbon steel, like those old knives. Careful, it rust easily, if not taken care of. -lance

jalna said...

Lance, how do I make sure it doesn't rust? I suck at taking care of things.

Anonymous said...

Main thing there's no moisture left on the blade. The bonito's dry, so shouldn't be a problem. -lance

jalna said...

Thanks Lance!