Friday, September 4, 2009

Tofu with Bittermelon


Wendell doesn't really like bittermelon so I was surprised to find this on the dinner table when I got home from work one day. It was good although I kinda picked mostly the tofu and egg for my plate.


Here's the recipe he used:
1/2 lb. bittermelon
1 block firm tofu, break into pieces
Cut bittermelon into thin slices and sprinkle with salt, let stand for 10 minutes, rinse with water. Brown well-drained tofu pieces, set aside. Stir fry bittermelon in hot oil over high heat and cook until half done (? that's what it says "half" done). Add 1/2 can tuna (that's what the recipe calls for but Wendell used beef). Add fried tofu and beaten eggs. Mix well and sprinkle with salt.

7 comments:

K and S said...

yummy! in okinawa it is called "champuru" :)

jalna said...

Kat, I think the recipe book did call it that.

Betty Townsend said...

My dad would fix stir fry dishes with bittermelon when I was a kid. I would pick out the bittermelon because I never really cared for it. He would use pork or chicken. This does yummy!!

bong.concepcion said...

Wow!!! It's goya chanpuru... as it's called in Okinawa! Haven't had this in long time!

Betty Townsend said...

I should proof my post before I submit it. hahaha!! This "looks" yummy, not "does"!! :))

jalna said...

Betty, hahaha . . . sometimes after I read my posts I see some typos that are so embarrassing, especially since my main job is to spell things correctly. Wendell's dad also cooks, but not so much lately. He makes a really ono stuffed bittermelon that's coated with panko and then fried.

Bong, I really liked the chanpuru part but not so much the goya part.

SW said...

I used to hate bitter melon, but i like it now so I wouldn't have picked it out...looks yummy!