Sunday, October 2, 2011

Didi's Home-made Pickled Ginger


You ever had home-made pickled ginger?   Me neither . . . until Didi gave me some the other day.  And let me tell you . . . it is some ONO!!  Not sure if Didi used that young ginger like I got at the KCC Farmers' Market recently, but bet you that's perfect for something like this.

IMG_9697

2 lbs. fresh ginger, peeled
2 TB Hawaiian salt
1 ½ c. sugar
¾ c. rice wine vinegar
1/3 c. water
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. red food coloring


Using a vegetable peeler or vertical slicer; slice ginger into very thin slices; crosswise. Place in a colander and toss with salt. Place bowl or dish under colander to catch liquid. Place plate with heavy weight on top of ginger. Allow to sit 1-2 hours. Rinse well; drain completely squeezing out excess liquid. Transfer ginger into jars. In a saucepan over medium high heat; combine remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat; cool completely. Pour cooled sauce over ginger. Refrigerate. Makes 1 ½ pints.

8 comments:

K and S said...

mmm!

jalna said...

Hahaha, yes Kat!

Les said...

oooh that looks good, and easy!

Betty Townsend said...

Yum!! not hard at all...

jalna said...

Hmm . . . now I'm wondering if I should try make um myself, Les. Wendell didn't even touch the ginger I bought from KCC yet.

I was kinda surprised how easy it looks to make, Betty.

The Little Foodie said...

I never even thought about doing this myself. Now I feel like I have to because I'm sure it tastes so much better.

Erick said...

Ono and easy.

jalna said...

Exactly Mariko! You wouldn't think to make it yourself yah!

It's good Erick!