Monday, January 6, 2014

Wendell's Onaga with Dill Cream Sauce


Remember the steamed onaga that Wendell made for New Year's Day? A funny thing happened.  When I lifted up the bones to reveal the other half of the fish for my mom, there was no "other half of the fish".  Me and my sister laughed and thought that it musta already got flipped over, but we wondered how it was done without getting the fish all bust up.

We later found out that Wendell had filleted and cut off the other half before steaming the fish and had set it aside. 

The following day, he used the saved portion and made this pan-fried onaga with a cream sauce.  It was really good.  He followed a recipe from Sam Choy's Cooking from the Heart cookbook.

IMG_0185

4 onaga fillets
1/2 c. flour, to dust fish
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. butter
1 c. shiitake mushrooms, sliced
2 c. heavy cream
1 tbsp. shoyu
2 tbsp. fresh dill, chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Season fish fillets with salt and pepper and dust with flour.

Heat oil and butter in pan. Place fish skin side down and fry 2 1/2 to 3 minutes until golden brown. Turn and fry another 2 or 3 minutes, just until fish turns opaque in the middle.  Remove fish.

Extract all but 2 tbsp. of oil from the pan, add shiitake mushrooms, heavy cream, and shoyu.  Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 3 or 4 minutes, or until sauce has been reduced to a nice consistency.  Fold in dill at the very end and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper.  

12 comments:

Kalin's Mommy said...

That' s funny, Out house would be wondering the same thing too!. Looks oishi!

jalna said...

LOL! It was funny when I lifted up the bones and there was nothing there, Mich.

jenny said...

That looks amazing! Thanks for sharing the recipe, I may have to try it one day!

jalna said...

I hope you do get to try it some day, Jenny!

Anonymous said...

No onaga sashimi? My dad did onaga one year for new years when ahi was really expensive.

DNakamaru said...

Yum!!!

Anonymous said...

For the price of that fish it's good he did that to savor it! You are so spoiled :) haha jk

K and S said...

oh wow looks so good!

Mark Shelby said...

Jalna! I jus Love All of your Cooking pics and info! Keep Going my Friend! This is totally awesome! Carry On! Dis is one reason why I miss my Island Home! Da Grinz!!!!
Aloha!
~Mark Shelby

jalna said...

Anon, Wendell was planning to sashimi that extra piece but never did. Maybe 'cause he thought we ended up with enough raw fish.

It was yum, Dean.

I am spoiled, Anon. But Wendell been grounchy lately, so I deserve it.

I really liked it, Kat. . . and I'm not really that into fish.

Hey Mark! Thanks for stopping by!

Erick said...

Ooh that looks so ono. Easy too.

jalna said...

Try um, Erick. Fish should be cheaper now.