Thursday, July 2, 2020

Resizing Paper Grocery Bags


We've accumulated a lot of paper grocery bags from when the stores weren't allowing us to bring our own bags. They're actually not too repurposeful for me because they're too big. 

So I cut them down to a smaller size and have been making good use of them. 

IMG_4821


First, I carefully (sorta) remove the handles. 
IMG_4825

Then I cut off about 4 inches from the top. Sometimes I place the cut-off piece on the bottom of the finished bag for added support (and to not waste it).
IMG_4809

I cut the bag in two at about 4 inches from one side.
IMG_4814

I unfold the two pieces and tape them together like this. I put tape on the inside too.
IMG_4819

Then I staple the handles back on and reinforce them with duct tape.  I also put duct tape onto the bottom seam and depending on the load might also duct tape the other seams too.
IMG_4823

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dang, Jalna, Udabomb!!!

Hey, did you every try making those paper wallets out of Starbucks packages?

v

Susan said...

You are clever!

K and S said...

nice remake:)

Honolulu Aunty said...

So resourceful! I use the paper bags to put my old newspapers in - just the right size. And I flag fold the thin flimsy plastic bags and store them. I need to do a post on that (been saying that for a couple of years, lol).

Dd said...

Perfect !! I actually use my paper bags for wrapping boxes that i mail....coz we mail a lot a lot...do you need more handles teeheeheheheh ...coz they get tossed

Chet Colson said...

Great idea. I agree, such a waste. I go to Whole Foods or Nijiya Store to purchase one or two items, the cashier puts the items in this large bag. You so resourceful. What I use the large bag is for trash ie. papers, wrapping etc.

Mark Shelby said...

I can't keep up with all of the rules anymore! I wear a Cowboy scarf, a hat and sunglasses when I go into my bank. If I did that last year they would have called the cops! ....LOL!

jalna said...

V, LOL, no, never heard of those paper wallets. I'll go google it.

Susan, thanks!

Kat, thank you.

Aunty, I do that with my plastic bags too!

Dd, no, no need more handles. LOL.

Chet, yah, I hate to waste.

Mark, totally!!