Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Simple Guacamole


I mentioned to Didi that I had some avocado and wanted to make guacamole even though my guacamole always comes out lacking.  She emailed me a simple (yay!) recipe, and I tried it.

Unfortunately, green onion is key to this recipe, and I didn't have any. Still, it came out good. Thank you, Didi!
IMG_2972
Mari's Should-Be-World-Famous Guacamole
Ingredients
Avocados
Salsa (any kind, but make sure it’s tomato-based and has some liquid)
Limes
Green onions
Cilantro
Salt
Sriracha (this has chilies, garlic, sugar, vinegar and altogether a much more rounded flavor than Tabasco or chili water)
Directions
Notice my recipe has no measurements. I use none — but do a lot of tasting and adjusting seasonings. This means you’ll be stirring guacamole frequently, so if you mash too much up front, you will end up with no avocado chunks in your guacamole.
Peel and seed avocados and throw in a bowl. If you’re using my avocados or similarly large ones, add about 1 heaping tablespoon of salsa per avocado (I mean the kind you eat soup with, NOT a measuring tablespoon). Add a few pinches of salt. Go around the bowl a couple of times with the Sriracha. Depending on the size of your limes, start by squeezing in the juice of half a juicy lime per 2 medium to large avocados.
Minimally mash, then roughly stir everything together with the biggest fork you have. Taste. Adjust levels of salsa, lime juice, salt or Sriracha. Mix and taste again. Stop as soon as you think, wow!
Note: It’s OK if you accidentally overseason a little bit here. You can make up for it by adding a lot of greens, or a little more avocado. I sometimes reserve half an avocado in case I need to mild out the flavor after seasoning.
Now, grab a bunch of cilantro, chop, and throw in. Grab some green onion — more than you think you’ll need — and chop finely, from root to tip. GREEN ONION IS THE KEY. This fresh, edgy flavor will permeate the guacamole, but people won’t recognize that. They’ll all think it’s the cilantro. Mix all in and taste again. Your tastebuds should say yummy.

9 comments:

K and S said...

even though you didn’t have the key ingredient, it still sounds yummy!

Susan said...

That is the best recipe instructions ever!

Anonymous said...

I love guacamole. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

Izsmom

Leslie's pics said...

yuuuum, i love me some guacamole!

Honolulu Aunty said...

Easy! I have green onions always growing. Only thing I don't have is avocados. All of a sudden people stopped giving me, (emotion picture: sad sack face.)

jalna said...

Kat, thanks.

Susan, my kine of recipe!

Izsmom, welcome.

Les, I love yours.

Aunry, LOL.

Chet Colson said...

Avocados are SO expensive. But, I got blessed by a friend, local kine. Will try recipe.

jalna said...

Chet, great!

Mark Shelby said...

Avocados are so expensive now even in Scam Diego. I thought about buying avocado trees, but I bet it would still be cheaper buying them in the store than paying for our very expensive water to make the trees grow.