Sunday, May 5, 2019

Breakthrough Painting


Here is another "trying to copy Esther Gili" painting. 

I used the light-wash technique that I learned when I did the see-through poppy painting . . . little paint + lots of water. 

It took many coats (4 or 5) and lots of patience until I was satisfied with the saturation. I actually didn't think it would happen and at one point was prepared to rip out and toss the page.

Tips: 
1.  Be patient. Dry well before next coat.
2.  Quickly dab with paper towel if you screw up.
3.  QoR's Venetian Red heavily diluted makes a lovely flesh tone. 
4.  Use 100% cotton watercolor paper for best results.

IMG_1243

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice!

Izsmom

gracie said...

i'm glad you didn't toss out the page, jalna. this is beautiful!

Susan said...

Just amazing! Did you use pens for eye area and hair?

K and S said...

so nice!

jalna said...

Izsmom, thanks!

Aww, thank you, Gracie.

Susan, on a painting previous to this I had used a fine-tipped pen to outline and I didn't like how it turned out, so I decided to try and paint in the lines for this one. I did many practice strokes first!

Thanks Kat!

Honolulu Aunty said...

Cool! Do yourself! I love your cartoon "biographies".

Chet Colson said...

The eyes kind of looks like a Margaret Keane painting.

jalna said...

Aunty, it's been awhile since I've done one of those, yah.

Thanks, Chet.

Leslie's pics said...

WOOOOOOWWWW!!! this is awesome!!!

jalna said...

Thanks Les!