Monday, January 7, 2019

The Tokkuri Tei Story


Back in October while I was in Japan with da sistahs, Wendell and Landon decided to go check out Tokkuri Tei. They hadn't been there since it moved to the old Hee Hing site. 

When they got there, there was a long line snaking down the stairs.

Wendell and Lan bypassed everybody in line and went straight inside because . . .  unlike everybody else . . .  they were SMAHT and had made reservations. 

The host greeted them, and Wendell told him that they had reservations. The host gave Wendell a quizzical look and said, "We don't take reservations." 

Wendell cocked his head and said, "Whaddya mean you don't take reservations. I MADE A RESERVATION!"

The host insisted, Wendell relented, and both Wendell and Landon left the restaurant feeling totally bummed and all huhÅ«. 

Fast forward 2 months to Christmas Day at our family gathering. Wendell tells the story to brother-in-law Teren, and in an instant Teren starts laughing. He thinks he knows exactly what happened and explains.

Two days later, me, Wendell and Landon go to Tokkuri Tei to see if Teren was right.

He was.

It turns out that back in October what happened was . . . Wendell and Landon had walked into the adjacent, very popular, no-take-reservations Tonkatsu Tamafuji instead of the also popular, do-take-reservations Tokkuri Tei.

IMG_0455

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! Poor ting. I would be upset too. But, nevah have sign? The host at the other place should have asked if maybe they meant to go to the restaurant next door.

Izsmom

Honolulu Aunty said...

Ha! Kinda embarrassing but very funny!

Anonymous said...

j: good story - wow Wendall he's very trim - did he lost a lot of weight cuz he was on that keto diet (which I heard first here and now it's all on da tv)? -N

K and S said...

aiyah!

Craig S said...

Funny. Did you guys ever eat at the Tonkatsu place?

Kalin's Mommy said...

Oh my, that makes total sense!

jalna said...

Izsmom, had sign but they didn't read um 'cause they both thought only had one restaurant there. And I thought the same thing as you about the host.

Aunty, I thought was funny too.

N, Wendell lost a lot of weight by not eating rice, and then lost a little more being on the keto diet.

Kat, yah!

Craig, no, never try the tonkatsu place yet.

Mich, as soon as I heard Teren's explanation, I knew that that's what happened.

Anonymous said...

the tonkatsu place opens for lunch on Saturday @11 so if you go early, no line! It's pretty good.
v

jenny said...

I love this! I go to Tokkuri Tei a lot and often walk through the Tamafuji crowd, too funny about Wendell and Landon! Glad the mystery has been cleared up, lol. Happy New Year by the way!

Chet Colson said...

That's hilarious. I'll use this tale for future refetence....lol.

DNakamaru said...

Great story!!! Sounds like something i would do

Leslie's pics said...

AHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!! Love Tokkuri-Tei!

jalna said...

V, good tip!! Thanks. Must be good judging by the line.

Hey Jenny!! Happy New Year to you too.

Chet, LOL.

Happy New Year, Dean!

Les, I think you introduced the place to us when you gave me a gift card for taking photos at your wedding!

Erick said...

Ha ha, the first time I went to Tamafuji I almost walked into Tokkuri-Tei. One on them needs to change their name or move.