Saturday, January 5, 2019

Sumo


Do you watch Grand Sumo Highlights on NHK? Next tournament starts on Sunday January 13, and I can't wait!

I made this cheat sheet to look at when I watch. The notes at the end of each name tell me how much each wrestlers' rank changed since the Autumn tournament.  The Yokozuna and Ozeki wrestlers' ranks are unchanged.

I think I learned something when I did this sheet. It seems like there are 3 Yokozuna, 3 Ozeki and 2 of each in the other ranks. I wonder if it's always like that. If so, then it would seem that you can only become a Yokozuna (etc.) if a slot opens up. Hmmmm?

Also, do you see that I crossed out Takanoiwa? He was forced to retire last month for beating up a fellow stablemate. The irony is that at the end of 2017 Yokozuna Harumafuji was also forced to retire for beating up . . .  guess who . . . Takanoiwa. 

To add further drama to the 2017 case, stable master Takanohana got all mad at the way things were handled and quit the sumo world, forcing the closure of his stable. Whoa!!

Anyway, try start watching if you can. It can get pretty exciting.

IMG_0470

10 comments:

kobi said...

Too bad the Hawaii pipeline stopped. Are there any active sumotori from Hawaii? Those guys are impressive. Went to the exhibition back in the 90’s at Blaisdell. At the time Takanohana and Wakanohana were the big deal along with the Hawaii sumotori. Used to watch as a kid with my Batchan Got a greater appreciation once I read a book about all the rituals and symbolism.

Honolulu Aunty said...

You so surprising - I didn't know you liked sumo! btw, Hawaii's Akebono is not in good health, sad.

Anonymous said...

Oh what drama outside of the dohyo! I used to watch with my parents when the boys from Hawaii dominated. Lost interest when the last of them retired. Maybe should try watch again.

Izsmom

Craig S said...

I've been watching for the past three years. Hope that the Yokuzunas are all healthy and ready to fight.

K and S said...

cool! but so much drama...

Chet Colson said...

Interesting. I remember Takanohana vs Akebono matchs.i like Takanohana cause he was a smaller sumotori,but would beat bigger wrestlers by virtue of his speed and technique.

Anonymous said...

Yes! We watch every tournament! Tournament start dates are actually one of the few things we have written on our hard copy calendar hanging in the house. (Opposed to our phone online calendars that have everything else). We really get into it the way it sounds like you do too. I love that cheat sheet you made, I going show my husband right now! =) -L

Susan said...

Sooo, I watch a lot of NHK but when sumo comes on its time to change the channel. Wow, your list and tracking sheet is craazzzyy!!😅

jalna said...

Kobi, I remember watching something on TV where they showed a stable that included a young Hawaii kid. Don't remember his name though.

Aunty, I just googled Akebono to find out what you're talking about. Looks like was pretty serious but he's slowly recovering.

Izsmom, I'm hooked.

Craig, I know! It's always disappointing when they drop out.

Kat, I agree.

Chet, I always like when the smaller wrestlers prevail.

LOL, L!! Funny about you marking your calendar with the start dates!

Susan, try watch!! It's fun once you get to know the different wrestlers.

Anonymous said...

j: my dad's passion, mom use to be get mad cuz she said when had sumo on (during dinner time) why bother making something good to eat cuz he no can taste. He was mesmerized, I never got into it but those were the days of the Hawaii boys too - Now get Russian and other ethnicities?? -N