Friday, November 2, 2018

Memories of Hiram Lane - 2


One day a long time ago me and my mom were hanging out . . . she was ironing and I was just playing. I think I was maybe 2 years old or so . . . because there were no other kids around yet.  

It was lunchtime so my mom went into the kitchen to prepare our lunch . . . corned beef hash patty sandwiches. Before leaving she told me to not touch the iron because it was hot. I nodded.

DSCF4209

While my mom was in the kitchen, I kept looking at the iron. I wondered how it could be hot when there were no flames. 

She returned with my sandwich and went back into the kitchen to make hers.

I decided to touch the iron. 
DSCF4211

That's when I found out just how hot irons are.

I started bawling. My mom rushed back into the room. I showed her my finger. She said, "Awwwww . . . I'm sorry . . . is the sandwich too hot?"  I said, "Yes."
DSCF4216

She put some ointment and a bandaid on my finger, and I was relieved that I didn't get busted.

15 comments:

Kalin's Mommy said...

OMG! Does she know now that you lied?

Anonymous said...

LOL, do you think most kids touch hot irons because they cannot comprehend "hot" without flames, or even red? I remember doing that too! Except, I was too scared to let my mom know that I had touched the iron because the spanking for not listening would probably be worse :)
I remember the white blister on my finger:(
v

Honolulu Aunty said...

Nice mommy! I never had corned beef hash sandwiches. Sounds ono!

Anonymous said...

Ha ha! I thought you were going to get good scoldings! Your mommy's so nice! ~e

Anonymous said...

What a sweet mommy! I’m pretty sure she might have known you touched the iron, but knew after that you wouldn’t touch the iron again. LOL. I think my mom would have said, see what you get when you no listen.


Izsmom

Susan said...

Haha, funny!

Mark Shelby said...

Me thinks your Mom didn't want you to know she caught you. And by doing so, hurt your feelings. She did not want to to be upset. ..... ; )

Smaaat Mom! She knew you learned your lesson all on your own. ; )

Leslie's pics said...

wow you got a good memory....i don't know how old I was when I would remember stuff like that

Anonymous said...

j: I think your momma knew but you were hurtin' so bad so she nevah say I told you so and you learned your lesson. She is graceful! -N

Anonymous said...

j: P.S. read in today's paper that Daiso is coming in Dec. to Pearl City SC where Sanki use to be and by Ben Franklin -N

Chet Colson said...

Don't feel bad.I use to touch the iron to see hot it was. I touch it real fast , like a fast tap. Curiosity kill the cat, but satisfaction brought him back.

jalna said...

Mich, I'll ask her if she remembers the incident, but I doubt she will.

Aaaw, V, mine didn't blister. It just got red. Poor ting, you.

Aunty, my mom used to make corned beef hash patties a lot. I think because one can could go a long way.

E, me too!

Izsmom, for the longest time I thought that I fooled her, but I think you're right.

Susan, that's what I get for not listening.

Mark, I think so.

Les, I remember stuff from way back.

N, I think you're right. I can't wait for Daiso!

Funny, Chet!

K and S said...

I am glad you didn’t get seriously hurt!

jalna said...

Aww thanks, Kat.

Erick said...

Ouch, the nice artwork makes up for the lie.