Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Peaceful Shopping


A few days after coming home from Japan I went to Safeway to get a few things. 

Cool air rushed at me as soon as I entered the store. I hadn't realized how much I had missed that while shopping in Tokyo. 

And it was quiet. Nobody shouting words from behind counters. No high-pitched voices coming from sound systems. 

And no crowds. 
IMG_0036

Nobody blocking my way in tiny, narrow aisles. 
IMG_0038

And no looooooooooong lines at checkout.
IMG_0041

It was so nice being able to shop in peace. 

But don't get me wrong. I'd go back to do more Tokyo omiyage shopping in a heartbeat!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, when did you go shopping and which Safeway is this? I've never seen Safeway this empty, even when I go early in the morning or late at night. ~e

Chet Colson said...

That's SO true. It's nice to have the slow pace of local stores, all the factors you mentioned. But hey, i dying with baited breath to go back shop Japan, especially, Daiso and Daiei with crowds.Even convenient stores are hectic. Jalna, glad I'm back on your site.

Leslie's pics said...

Wait, what??? when da hell is Safeway that empty?? Were you there at 3 in the morning? It's always busy when I go!

Susan said...

I’m missing the small, somewhat crowded, obasan pushing me to get past, Japanese stores about now 😂!

Anonymous said...

Hahaha! You are too funny.

Uzsmom

K and S said...

whoo! the market I usually shop at is so teeny, always lots of people and tension in the air

jalna said...

~e, it was at Hawaii Kai Safeway, mid morning on a Wednesday.

Chet, I know how you feel . . . hectic and crowded . . . but so exciting and fun.

Les, I was surprised too.

Susan, hahahahaha!!!!

Izsmom, I wish I felt the same way about clothes shopping. LOL.

Kat, "tension in the air" . . . that's it exactly!

Anonymous said...

j: even if it was soooo many decades ago I remember shopping in Kobe, the noise and worse the pushing and shoving. Japanese ppl are polite except in public and in crowds. I have never been jostled and pushed so much without one 'excuse me'. THAT was different. I liked the small suburban stores where my grandma lived, empty and cute just like in soko ga shirtai. I also loved the kissaten and small restaurants they had -N

jalna said...

N, wow, even that long ago! Must be hard having to live like that. I wish I could go back in time and check out where your grandma lived.