Friday, July 20, 2018

Watercolor Palettes


It's been 8 months already since my art journey started. So fast the time went fly by. It's still hard for me . . . and fun. And I still seem to be accumulating more and more supplies. 

I think I'm done buying watercolor paints at least. I bought mostly tubes because that was the most economical. I totally scored on the QoR and Winsor and Newton paints when Fisher had them on sale at clearance prices.
IMG_9237

But when actually painting, I found that I tend to grab the paints that are in tins more frequently because it's faster and easier.
IMG_9238

So I bought some empty pans online and searched around for tins so that I could make some ready-to-use palettes from the tube paints.
IMG_9239

IMG_9228

I attached magnets to the bottom of the pans so that they'd be stable in the tins.
IMG_9231

The Hello Kitty Panda tin came from Leslie. The bottom left is the mini Altoids tin and the bottom right is an old cigarette case.
IMG_9225

I put a Hello Kitty decal on the cigarette case. Isn't it cuuuuute!
IMG_9230

Here's my finished palette collection. I'm a bit worried about mold forming in the moist paint so I set them out in the sun for a few days to dry them out. 
IMG_9451


9 comments:

Honolulu Aunty said...

Wow! You are an organizing and useful things diva! Love it, love the color chart. I need to do something, one of these days.

Anonymous said...

You are creative even in organizing your paints!

Izsmom

Susan said...

You’re brilliant!

Anonymous said...

j: hey hey I love to come here and 'catsup' with all your posts. So a round-up of my comments. Sorry. I was gonna go Whole Foods but I was too tired to go...glad I didn't seeing how that new store is huuuuggggeee. Yasai-man gorgeous sketch and yeah, when we lived on Date St. by KHS, the yasai man would come and all the oba-sans from the apts. would come and talk w/ him in Japanese. I'd buy fresh ground beef and make burgers for me and dad. We bought mostly at the IGA Kapahulu (which became Love's which is now Safeway) so he didn't make much money off of us. I remember da Manapua Man too walking by w/ his cans and my dad saying we goin' get food poisoning cuz da pork stay in the hot sun da whole time. So I nevah buy. Your awesome sistahs post too funny...I be like you like 'wwahhhhhhhh'. Now that I have a Mexican landlord and I see 'real' Mexican food all the time I kind of lost my appetite for it. The few she gave me to try it was surprisingly bland...I think that's her style. But yeah, they eat Mexican from scratch 6 outta 7 days. They wrap anything in tamale shells incld. Haw'n food.I love your paints...you are so artistic it seems to be you've been exploring ways to express it and once you do it for a while, you find another mode to do it, like you're always challenging your skills and mind. That's so cool.Haven't found my own groove yet except for The Sims 3 and ya know,it's a computer game so no more tangible results, yeah? See ya again -N

jalna said...

Aunty, I loved this project as much as I love painting.

LOL, Izsmom.

Thanks Susan.

Hey N!! Always so nice to hear from you! Keep up with the Sims! Good for relaxing to me. Long time ago, I was so into Zelda that I would fall asleep with the controls in my hands.

K and S said...

ooh wow, I like the magnet idea!

jalna said...

Kat, YouTube is da bomb for ideas.

Leslie's pics said...

holy crap

jalna said...

LOL, Les.