I actually posted this by mistake. Supposed to be for tomorrow but some people already read it so you get two posts for today. LOL!
You can't go wrong with melt in da mouth pork belly, yah! Wendell got the recipe for this dish from I Love Hawaiian Food Recipes site. You can find it here.
- 1½ pounds pork belly
- ½ cup sake
- ⅓ cup shoyu (soy sauce)
- 1-inch ginger, peeled and crushed
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup mirin
- Green onions, garnish (optional)
- In a large pot add pork belly and cover with water. Bring to a rolling boil and turn heat down and simmer for 10 minutes. This is to remove excess fat. Drain and rinse pork, then cut into 1 to 1½-inch pieces.
- In a large pot, add sake, shoyu and ginger then bring to a boil. Add pork pieces to mixture, cover and simmer for about an hour. Turning pieces 3 to 4 times throughout the hour. This will evenly glaze pork.
- Mix together sugar and mirin and stir into pork pieces. Cook for another 45 minutes uncovered until pork is soft and evenly glazed.