Friday, February 17, 2017

Historical Photos


I have an email folder called "for blog" where I keep interesting blog-worthy emails. The following was in an email sent to me by my sister Didi . . . four years ago.  I think maybe I need to declutter my mailbox, yah?


Boxing match onboard the USS Oregon in 1897.
Mail

Construction of the Statue of Liberty in 1884.
Mail-35

Arnold Schwarzenegger on the day he received his American citizenship.
Mail-34

The construction of Disneyland.
Mail-33

The Beatles meet Muhammad Ali.
Mail-32

Leo Tolstoy tells a story to his grandchildren in 1909.
Mail-31

Steamboats on the Mississippi River in 1907.
Mail-30

Construction of Christ the Redeemer in Rio deJaneiro, Brazil.
Mail-29

New York Times Square in 1911. 
Mail-28

Child laborers in 1880.
Mail-27

The first photo following the discovery of Machu Pichu in 1912.
Mail-26

Elvis Presley in the Army.
Mail-25

Bill and Hilary Clinton in 1975.
Mail-24

The 1912 World Series.
Mail-23

Archduke Franz Ferdinand with his wife on the day they were assassinated in 1914, an event that helped spark World War I.
Mail-22

Mail-21

Fidel Castro lays a wreath at the Lincoln Memorial. 
Mail-20

The first McDonalds.
Mail-19

Disneyland employee cafeteria in 1961.
Mail-18

Grounded aircraft on September 11, 2001.
Mail-17

Hitler in Paris.
Mail-16

The original Ronald McDonald played by Willard Scott.
Mail-15

A Japanese plane is shot down during the Battle of Saipan in 1944.
Mail-14

The Great San Francisco Fire and Earthquake in 1906.
Mail-13

Native American overlooking the newly completed transcontinental railroad in 1869.
Mail-12

Nagasaki 20 minutes after the atomic bombing in 1945. 
Mail-11

Google begins with 34 people. 
Mail-10

Martin Luther King, Jr. removes a burned cross from his yard in 1960.
Mail-9

Winston Churchill out for a swim.
Mail-7

The last known Tasmanian Tiger photographed in 1933. 
Mail-6

Young Bill Gates and the Microsoft staff in 1978.
Mail-5

Roy O. and Walt Disney on the day they opened Disney Studios.
Mail-4

Samurai taken between 1860 and 1880.
Mail-3

9 comments:

Leslie's pics said...

that's pretty coooool!!

Susie said...

Awesome old pictures!!! Thanks for sharing :)

Kay said...

These are awesome photos!!!

Susan said...

Interesting!

jalna said...

Les, I wish camera's were invented earlier in history so that we could have photos from waaaaay long ago.

Welcome, Susie!

Really yah, Kay!

I agree, Susan.

Honolulu Aunty said...

All were great, though my favorite is the Disney cafeteria with Snow White, etc. in costume.

Chet Colson said...

Picture of Elvis brought memories. I served in the same army division ( 3rd Armor Division) Elvis served in Germany. He served in the 50-60's I believe. I served much after. He was stationed at a Kaserne in Friedberg. I saw the mansion that he lived off base.

jalna said...

I thought that was a neat photo too, Aunty.

Wow, Chet.

K and S said...

wow!