Sunday, June 5, 2016

Cold Brewing


Karen! Karen! I took your advice and got the Café Du Monde coffee and tried cold brewing.

IMG_3791

I watched this video and followed the instructions.  I wasn't sure about the ratio of coffee to water, so I just used 3/4 cup of the Café Du Monde and filled the water to the max level (4 cups for my press). I let it steep overnight (about 11 hours).  


I was shocked to see how dark the coffee turned out. I thought for sure it would be bitter.  
IMG_3795

But it wasn't bitter at all. It was goooooood. I think I'll try 1/2 cup of the grounds the next time and see how it goes. 
IMG_3862

Don't know if you guys noticed, but I have a new section on the right sidebar called "Recipes".  I never expected this blog to last this long and the collection of recipes to become so extensive.  I've been going through the recipes and am applying tags to them, so have been able to finally get them organized . . . sorta. "Favorites" are recipes that've received more than 600 views.  I'm not pau yet . . . but almost. 

Addendum: I just did a second batch of cold brew using 1/2 cup of coffee instead of 3/4 cup, and it was even better than my first batch . . . so smoooooth . . . so Danger-Will Robinson-Danger ono. 

15 comments:

Kay said...

Well, I'm just so glad that you've kept your blog going because I love it. I really don't know many bloggers from Hawaii. Thank you for pointing out your recipe section.

Honolulu Aunty said...

Awesome! You going give hard rub to the Food Network, etc!

jalna said...

Awww, thank you, Kay.

LOL, thanks, Aunty.

K and S said...

I usually make one scoop of coffee (use the scoops specifically for coffee) to one cup water, and leave in fridge overnight

Mark Shelby said...

That guy in the video had a coffee hunting TV show! I used to watch it all the time! I loved it! I wish it were still on!

I would call him the most experienced coffee dude in America! I love this guy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-svEBRk2u4

Kalin's Mommy said...

Sample???

Anonymous said...

Sooooo smoooooth yah?! I'm happy you like it! Gonna try cold brewing a batch of "regular" coffee (like Hawn Isles or Lion) next and compare the results, but I think the chicory adds something to the taste. So, did you order the 3-pack or the 6-pack of Cafe Du Monde from Amazon? ;)

Nice work on your new "Recipes" section, btw! Now I won't have to keep searching "Wendell" or "dessert" every time I wanna try something. :)

-Karen

Dd said...

oooo New Orleans coffee.....DK Kodama made the news a while back as he was the only one in Hawaii to serve this coffee in his restaurants....Sansei...Now they are all over Chinatown stores

jalna said...

Thanks Kat! I'll keep that in mind.

Mark, never saw that program before. Interesting!

You drink coffee, Mich? I didn't even know.

Karen, I got it for $8something from Palama Market.

Didi, at first I thought it was a Vietnamese thing.

mmiissee said...

Ooooh...looks so good. I seen this, but didn't know if it was good.
I just bought a bag of Mr. Coffee instant coffee at Longs...my dad likes it.
I need to start making my own coffee or buy cheaper coffee drinks...That would save me a whole lot of money.

jalna said...

I know, Mmiissee . . . so expensive yah!

Anonymous said...

It's funny you said that- I always thought it was an Asian/Thai product before I bought it. Got it from Palama Market too, then found it on Amazon for around $2 less/can. I should do a price check on my next trip to Chinatown. -Karen

jalna said...

Karen, I was thinking of going to Asian Market on Beretania to pick it up, but I was already in Palama Market and saw it there, so bought it. Never thought to check Amazon.

Anonymous said...

I found my coffee/tea press that I used to use only for tea. Your post reminded me of it so I've tried making cold brew coffee several times. I think I'm not using enough grounds because I can barely taste coffee, but boy, feels like I gulped down 5 cups of coffee with so much caffeine! I was using ground coffee I received as omiyage from small roasters around Hawaii and Kauai. I'm gonna try that cafe du monde. V

jalna said...

V, I know what you mean about the caffeine! I can feel da small-kine jittery-ness, so I'm trying to limit my ice coffee intake. Good thing they say that the brew lasts for 2 weeks in the fridge.