Wednesday, May 11, 2016

My Rafute


It all started with Mich's husband's shoyu pork donburi shown here and ended with me wanting to make this rafute!!!!! 

Honolulu Aunty, it was easy!


IMG_3050

Recipe is from the Star Advertiser by Betty Shimabukuro.

1-1/2 pounds belly pork
1/2 cup awamori, sake or whiskey
1/2 cup soy sauce
1-inch piece ginger, crushed
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup mirin

Cover pork with water in a large pot. Bring to a rolling boil, then simmer 10 minutes to remove excess fat. Drain and rinse pork; cut into 1/2-inch slices.

Combine liquor, soy sauce and ginger in pot; bring to boil. Add pork slices in a single layer. Cover and simmer 1 hour, turning occasionally so both sides are evenly glazed with sauce.

Combine sugar and mirin; stir into pot. Cook, uncovered, 45 minutes or more, until pork is glazed and soft. Serves 8.


Note: I made this for Mother's Day on Sunday. I did the sake/shoyu/ginger part on Saturday, refrigerated, and then did the sugar/mirin portion on Sunday. Before cooking on Sunday, I scraped off about an inch of coagulated oil from the top first. 

14 comments:

Kay said...

You are so amazing! I've never been successful with recipes from the newspaper, magazine or whatever. Sigh...

DNakamaru said...

Holy cow! That looks so good! Nothing like some tender pork and salty fat! Yum!

Honolulu Aunty said...

Looks really ono - but easy to you is not so easy for me. However, maybe I have cooking phobia that I have to overcome. For now, I will feast with my eyes, mahalo!

alibaba37 said...

Wow, that looks DELICIOUS!!!

Unknown said...

That rafute looks delicious. I'm gonna copy your recipe and try it for some occasion (don't know what, yet, but I'm gonna try it).

mmiissee said...

Mmmmm looks really juicy =)
Could you taste the sake?

Susan said...

I remember eating this when I lived in Okinawa : )

Anonymous said...

j: I am gonna make this, looks so ONO! Gulick Delicatessen also makes an excellent one. BTW I got the new Marukai flyer today and for their 5-24 to 5-30 sale, pg.17 I think the "bear rice" is on sale? It's called Mori No Kumasan Ruice - 4.4 lbs is $12.99, $20.99 for ll lbs. Is this the same one you got? -N

jalna said...

You can do it, Kay! I'm totally not a cook.

So baaaad yah, Dean.

Like I said to Kay . . . you can do it!!

Thanks Alibaba!

Yay, Lorna. No need do the single layer part . . . that's impossible. And the "45 minutes or more" ended up being a lot more. I just kept simmering and simmering until it ended looking like how it did.

Mmiissee, I couldn't taste the sake . . . but I don't have a refined palate. I can't tell flavors real good.

It is totally Okinawan yah, Susan.

That is the one, N!! That sounds like a good price! I didn't get my flyer yet. I always get excited when it comes. Hahahaha!!

Mark Shelby said...

OMG Again!

jalna said...

LOL, Mark.

K and S said...

love rafute! yours looks good!

jalna said...

Thanks Kat!

Erick said...

I love this, so easy to make too.