Sunday, January 17, 2016

Microwave Gau Recipe


I first posted this Microwave Gau recipe back in January 2009. Long story short, since Chinese New Year is approaching, I wanted to share the recipe again by providing a link, but when I tried to format the post to my current preferences, I ruined it. So here it is redone and looking brand new. 

If you like gau, try make this. Tastes authentic to me.

1 lb. wong tong (block brown sugar, you can find it in the Asian section)
1 lb. mochi flour
2 3/4 c. water
1/4 c. vegetable oil

IMG_5535

Heat 1 lb. wong tong sugar in 2 3/4 c. water on stove until sugar is dissolved. Cool.IMG_5542

Add 1 box mochiko flour.
IMG_5550

Add 1/4 c. vegetable oil and stir until smooth.
IMG_5554

Use ring mold (I don't have one so I just used a regular microwavable bowl).  Microwave 6 minutes on high, 6 minutes on 75% and 6 minutes on 50%. Cool; sprinkle with sesame seeds.
IMG_5576

For my microwave, I had to adjust the time to 5 minutes at high, 5 minutes at 75% and 5 minutes at 50%. It came out kinda chewy but that's how I like it.



8 comments:

K and S said...

reminds me of when my mom used to make this except she cooked hers in a pressure cooker.

jalna said...

Whoa, Kat . . . pressure cooker!

Anonymous said...

J: Yes, thanx for this EZ recipe. One thing about microwaving mochi getting the cooking times just right is hard...I made your mico mochi and after it cooled down was a bit chewy when I like really 'yarukai' mochi - I going try dis one, we love gau -N

Dd said...

ummmm....wait....so....why did you have to adjust the time ?? 1st attempt neva work ?? so adjust 2nd attempt ?? I neva know microwave has 75%/50% etc ?? turn on ... turn off ..
I never had a microwave oven ever in my house before, never use one ....and then I met Glenn ...da bachelor ..... I remember, buying one for him for his birthday, and carrying it home .. walking ...kinda far..... yes, young love ...lalalalla

Leslie's pics said...

whoa!! you giving Wendell some competition!!

jalna said...

Good luck with the gau, N!

Yah Dd, first time was kinda overcooked, so I had to lessen the times.

Not even close, Les.

Nippon Nin said...

I don't know what that is but looks interesting.

jalna said...

It's kinda like mochi, Akemi.