Thursday, May 29, 2014

Menchanko Tei


Menchanko-Tei is just a hop, skip and a jump away from Keeaumoku Super Market.  We actually went there for the ramen but it was the tonkatsu that stole the show.  I think it's as good as or even better than Tonki Tonkatsu Restaurant in Tokyo.  For real.  We ordered an ala carte half order. We just wanted to try. They have three grades Loin, Tenderloin and Premium.  We wanted to try the Premium but it didn't come in a half-order size so we got the Tenderloin instead.

Not to downplay everything else that we got . . . 'cause everything was good, but like I said . . . da tonkatsu was da big winnah.

IMG_4661

Here's our half order of Tenderloin Tonkatsu.  It was juicy and tender on the inside with just the right amount of crispness on the outside.
IMG_4663

Somehow I usually don't care for the taste of tonkatsu sauce, but this one with the just-ground sesame seeds was perfect to me.
IMG_4654

Oishiiiii!
IMG_4662

This is what I ordered.
IMG_4648

It was gooooood. 
IMG_4679

Oh, and can I add that I ate only one of the fried oysters and I shared the rest . . . just in case your eyebrows wen raise.  *ahem*
IMG_4681

I did eat all of the ramen but.
IMG_4683

Sweetie ordered the Nanban Don and Mini Ramen set.
IMG_4646

IMG_4673

The chicken was really, really yummy.
IMG_4686

Geri got the Zabu-Zabu Cold Ramen.
IMG_4649

She couldn't finish all of her noodles.  And we couldn't help her either.
IMG_4665

Unfortunately, I neva take a picture of the Tonkatsu menu. I got this menu from Yelp, so I don't know how current the prices are. 
Screen Shot 2014-05-26 at 2.10.47 PM

For sure we'll be back again!

18 comments:

jenny said...

Ooooh looks great! I'm definitely gonna give them a try now! And what great deals for lunch!

Kalin's Mommy said...

Oooh looks good!

jalna said...

I think you're gonna like it, Jenny!

Have you tried the tonkatsu, Mich?

Anonymous said...

J: oooh thanx for the pixs and the info. Will try to go on my next town trip. I never know what I wanna eat so knowing were the ono inexpensive places are very important. -N

jalna said...

N, I hope you get to check out Keeaumoku Market at the same time.

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmm!

Mokihana said...

Now I stay so 'ono foa dat kine grindz!!! Loved seeing all da choices and wachu wen eat!

Erick said...

I love their tonkatsu! I like the little wooden grinding tool, so cute.

Les said...

now i'm hungry for katsu...

Mark Shelby said...

Pure Yumminess abounds again at Jalna BlogSpot!

K and S said...

ooh yummy!

jalna said...

Anon, it was!

Glad you enjoyed, Moki.

Erick, I didn't even realize the tonkatsu was so good.

Actually, me too, Les.

Hahaha. Thanks, Mark.

Yah, Kat!

Susan said...

Did the fried oysters taste like raw oysters? I think I need a ramen fix now.

jalna said...

Not sure, Susan. It's been awhile since I've had raw oysters.

Honolulu Aunty said...

Looks so ONO! Maybe one day I'll try.
If you like tonkatsu, surprisingly Kim Chee II in Kaimuki has the best chicken tonkatsu - go figure!?! It is cooked just right but doesn't have tonkatsu sauce. I went to try it after our friend Black said it was the best. He was right, and I don't even like tonkatsu!
Wait - is tonkatsu just for pork? Maybe I am calling it wrong. Chicken katsu? K'den, not related to this post, but thas okay. Still about ono delicious food...

jalna said...

Hey Aunty! I'm normally not a katsu person either, but this tonkatsu was so good, I wanna go back for more. I like Kim Chee II. Next time we go there I'll get the Chicken Katsu.

Randism said...

thanks for the info; i haven't even noticed their existence and i pass there all da time; hmmmmm. gonna have to try their lunch ;-)

Nippon Nin said...

Wow! Everything look so good! I like the menu board, so cute.