Friday, January 4, 2013

Glenn's Pizza!!!

For New Year's Day celebration at my house we had the traditional New Year's Day Pizza! Whaaa??  You guys don't have pizza on New Year's Day?? Well, we always look forward to brother-in-law Glenn's homemade pizza so it was unanimously voted that that's what we were gonna have.  Hooo hoo!

There's a cool story behind Glenn's shirt, and I'm probably gonna screw it up 'cause I vaguely remember that the story involves a couple of visits, but anyway here's my version.  Glenn was in Washington by himself when he decided to catch a baseball game.  It was a Los Nationals(?) Latin Appreciation Game so he got in for $5.  While at the game he saw a guy wearing a Hilo Vulcans t-shirt and Glenn commented on the shirt.  The guy turned out to be affiliated with Handly(?) Orchid Isle Motors. After the game the guy invited Glenn to join them for grinds at Good Stuff Eatery where Obama Burgers are made.  Glenn saw Chef Spike Mendelsohn. (OMG, I thought he was some old dude. I just googled him and he's a handsome young guy.) Glenn commented to Chef that he liked the shirt he was wearing.  So guess what happened?  Chef stopped what he was doing, walked to a back room and brought a shirt back for Glenn!!  How cool izthat?
IMG_7708

Glenn uses provolone and smoked provolone cheese which he grinds(?), minces(?), cuts(?) into small little bitty pieces.  Here's the first pizza.  It's a Pepperoni Pizza.
IMG_7718

Yumm!!!
IMG_7728

Next is Sausage with Oyster Mushroom.
IMG_7733

IMG_7740

Ooooohhhhhhh!!!
IMG_7761

Combination Pizza.  He used sun-dried something(can't read my notes) olives.
IMG_7764

Shrimp Pesto with Artichoke Hearts
IMG_7778

OMGAAAAWWWDDDD!!!!
IMG_7808

Another slightly different version of the Shrimp Pesto Pizza.
IMG_7841

Pepperoni with Onion and Bell Pepper.  Glenn ended up making 15 PIZZAS!!!  Thank you soooooo much Glenn!!!!
IMG_7824

We totally, totally enjoyed every single one of um.
IMG_7815

Here's Kona who insisted on being in on the action.
IMG_7849

Geri made her onolicious, best eva Ozoni.  Her recipe is here.
IMG_7695

IMG_7735

IMG_7736a

We didn't have any leftover this year!
IMG_7853

Diem's aunty made a corn dish.  It had dried shrimp in it!!
IMG_7753

Teren deep fried some tako coated with cornstarch and cornmeal.
IMG_7757

Geri microwaved(!!) some oysters.
IMG_7804

She put some of this on it.  I don't normally eat oysters, but I had to try.  It was good!!
IMG_7684

Happy New Year from the little ones.
IMG_7743a

IMG_7790a

13 comments:

K and S said...

wow! so awesome

Dd said...

Pretty good...such a good story....but you forgot the part about..Glenn knowing Chef Spike because....I did a show with him...he told Chef..."you know my wife" and thus the friendship began...we visit Chef and his family every year now...mom, dad, sis...

Les said...

yummmm! That's cool that he got to meet Spike, he seems like a fun guy. He was one of my favorites on Top Chef :) Doesn't Didi know him or somethin?

Kalin's Mommy said...

Wow thats a pizza cutter! The tako looked really good too!

jalna said...

Our private pizza chef Kat!

Oh yeah, dat's right Didi.

You're right Les. I forgot that part.

Mich, that tako got wiped out!

Dd said...

I SOOO love the pic of Sarah and Aaron

DNakamaru said...

Those pizzas look super good!!!!!!

Erick said...

So cool, I love homemade pizza. I bought a pizza stone and a pizza peel so I could make my own. The toppings Glenn used look super ono. I'll try some of them the next time.

jalna said...

Me too Didi!

Was some ono Dean.

Invite me over when you make pizza Erick! What's a pizza peel?

Nippon Nin said...

Pizzas and zohni look delicious! Happy faces - wonderful! Nice post!

jalna said...

Thanks Akemi. I'm hungry for more now.

Stanette Leimomi Nuuhiwa said...

Wow! A piece of 'pizza art', love it!

jalna said...

Hahahaha, thanks Stanette.