Monday, December 3, 2012

Japan 4th Day (Part 2) - Osaka

This post should actually be called "The Search for the Nakata Ume" because trying to find the onolicious only-can-be-found-in-Osaka-ume recommended by Leslie's friend "Uji" really was like an adventure story.  That's not his real name by the way, but I'll forever call him Ume Uji for sending us on the wild goose chase we ended up having.

After visiting the Fushimi Inari shrine on the morning of our 4th day in Japan, we hopped back onto the train to get back to Kyoto Station where we needed to transfer to a bullet train to Osaka.
IMG_5355a

These kids were waiting at Kyoto Station. Looks like they were on an excursion themselves.
IMG_5357a

Here is where we waited to catch the train headed to Shin-Osaka.  Leslie's backpack was much like the kids' red caps . . . easy to spot.
IMG_5362a

I bought this cute "Small Musubi" set.
IMG_5365a

It had a nice variety.
IMG_5367a

At Shin-Osaka we caught yet another train to Namba.
IMG_5369a

!!!!!!!
IMG_5371a

Here is the Doguyasuji Shopping District where restaurant people buy their stuff.  Guarantee to find our ume right?  WRONG!
IMG_5372a

Had cute characters.
IMG_5374a

Choke wares.
IMG_5378a

Choke bowls.
IMG_5379a

Mochi pounders.
IMG_5380a

Choke hashi. But no ume.
IMG_5381a

I have a Hello Kitty figure that I have dangling from my camera.  One of our side quests while in Japan was trying to find a similar one for Les.  Jamie found mine in a vending machine, so we visited many arcades in hopes of finding one for Les.  We neva have luck with that either.
IMG_5384a

These guys were eating something on the run.
IMG_5389a

Ume here?
IMG_5390a

Here?  Nope.
IMG_5391a

We soon found ourselves in Dotonbori, another shopping/eating district which is north of Doguyasuji.  This mechanical crab above a crab restaurant is a landmark of Dotonbori.
IMG_5410a

There were a lot of fugu puffer fish around.
IMG_5426a

But no ume.
IMG_5394a

This Glico runner is also another symbol of Dotonbori.
IMG_5395a

IMG_5398a

Here is Kuidaore Taro, a mechanical drum-beating clown, another famous Dotonbori figure.
IMG_5399a

IMG_5401a

We walked quite a bit westward and ended up in an older-looking not-so-crowded part of Dotonbori. 
IMG_5405a

We saw these weird looking posts . . . but still no ume, so we headed back again to the more popular area.
IMG_5408a

There were a lot of these tako-yaki stations.
IMG_5413a

This one had a line.
IMG_5414a

Ume?
IMG_5415a

We decided to take a break from our search and entered a tiny restaurant.  I had an oyako donburi and Les opted for the curry rice.
IMG_5420a

After lunch we came upon Kuromon Market.  We were sooo hopeful!
IMG_5422a

Ume?
IMG_5423a

Ume?
IMG_5424a

Ume?
IMG_5425a

We didn't find it in the Kuromon Market either, but we did finally find six of these small containers at a vendor just as we pretty much had given up and were heading back to the train station.  Wow . . . success!!  Almost brought a tear to my eye.
IMG_1206

I must tell you that later when we went to Tokyo, we kept noticing um everywhere we went. I even wonder now if we got um here too.  For sure I'll be checking!  

9 comments:

K and S said...

glad you guys found some!

Leslie's pics said...

AHAHAHAAHAHAAAA!! I'm cracking up laughing over here!! By the way, it's Nakata ume, I thought you'd memorize that by now! It must be a "awebi" thing...or is it "awabi?" I forget already. ahahahaa!!

Kalin's Mommy said...

What is so good about that specific ume? Is it the crunchy or soft type?

Dd said...

Well, no wonder the ume was SOOOOOO delicious !! Thanks again.

jalna said...

Me too Kat!

"NAKATA"!!! I thought something didn't seem right. Thanks, I changed it. Looking back, that was actually a fun adventure. Gave us the chance to interact with the people and get advice, like "take the train to Wakayama" and go to the factory. Hahahaha. Hey, I wish I took a picture of that tart thing. Actually, I wish I bought more of that tart thing, instead of buying just ONE and sharing it. Actually, I wanna eat some of that tart thing NOW. Let's go back. I think I know where the place is. LOL!!!

Mich, it's soft and sweeeeeeeet.

Hahahaha, glad you liked it Didi!

Nippon Nin said...

Oh! You're so fun! You should write a book 'Jalna search for ume' I will be laughing so hard. I think I dined at giant crab restaurant once.

jalna said...

It was kinda fun Akemi. I liked talking to the people and asking them for advice on finding the ume.

Erick said...

So cool, they have the most interesting stores! You can shop forever.

jalna said...

You CAN shop forever Erick!