Sunday, March 4, 2012

Swap Meet with Da Sistahs

If you've got sisters and if you get the chance, go to the swap meet with them.  It's so good fun. Geri couldn't make it today 'cause she had a church meeting. Hopefully, she'll be able to make it next time.  

I didn't know it, but Sweetie's into plants.
IMG_1267

One of the first things we saw was this box of star apples that I recently blogged about.  I don't know how much these particular ones were, but another seller had them for 50 cents each.
IMG_1264

At 7:30 in the morning, these whole chicken were already doing a fast spin over some coals.
IMG_1271

These are young coconuts . . .
IMG_1282

that this guy would cut up all nice . . .
IMG_1283

so that you could enjoy a refreshing drink.
IMG_1285

These pickled mango made our mouth water.
IMG_1287

We passed on the Chinese food.
IMG_1288

Sweetie bought some lumpia instead. They were 5 for $2.00 or 50 cents each.
IMG_1332

These sausages were cold to the touch, but I wondered how long they would be left out without any ice on um.
IMG_1294

I don't know how much these taegu were.  I shoulda asked.
IMG_1305

IMG_1339

Feet . . . so gross.
duo4

On with the shopping . . .
IMG_1299

No, Didi didn't buy this "beautiful" wicker purse . . .
IMG_1298

or this $2 cookie press.
IMG_1280

But she did buy this Jams World dress and cute girl's skirt for . . . guess how much . . .  $1 each!!!
duo2

And look what I scored!  A Cuisinart saute pan for $7!!!  When I saw the pan, I whispered to Didi, "Didi, it's only 7 bucks!!  She said, "Ask her if she'd take $5."  I whispered, "5 bucks!! But it's a Cuisinart." Didi said, "But it's scratched up."  So I go, "'Um . . . scuze me . . . um . . .  would you take $5 for this pan?"  The lady goes, "NO!"  So I go, "Um . . .  okay then, here's $7."
IMG_1351

And check this out . . . on the right is a glass vase that Sweetie got for $2. So nice yah!  And on the left is an antique bonito stick shaver.  I got it for $10 (not $20).  Now, if I ever get ahold of a bonito stick, I'll be all set.   
duo3

Didi and Sweetie bought beef jerkey for $3 each.
IMG_1301

Nuts-for-coconuts Sweetie scored these coconuts for $1.25 each.
IMG_1310

The last two aisles at the Kam Swap Meet are where the vegetable vendors are.
IMG_1312

This guy was so happy to find these that he had his wife take a picture of him with it.  I don't know what they are, but I've seen um before and always wondered how you prepare them.
IMG_1328

These are betel nuts.  When I exclaimed to the lady that I thought they were HUGE. She said that it's the regular size, and got some even bigger kine.
IMG_1315

She also said that these are called "togey" (sp.?) in Ilocano.  It's a type of potato.
IMG_1319

Me and Didi couldn't figure out what these were.
duo1

Shallots?  Not sure.
IMG_1324

IMG_1327

Funny-looking mango.
IMG_1329

Didi and Sweetie said that these are tomato plants.
IMG_1334

On our way out we saw this guy lugging this to his truck. 
IMG_1342

Didi asked how much he got the deer head for.  He said, "20 bucks! Normally it can go for around $300!"  I bet his wife is gonna be reaaaaaal happy when he walks in the door with that!!
IMG_1344

16 comments:

Erick said...

Wow, everything is so cheap!

jalna said...

You never been to the swap meet Erick? It's so good fun.

K and S said...

fun times!

jalna said...

Kat, it was raining the last two times that we went to the swap meet, so there weren't as many sellers as usual. Still it was fun . . . and not as hot!

Kalin's Mommy said...

Ooohh looks like so much fun! My father-in-law loves chicken feet in his miso soup. I will let him know about the Kam Swap Meet. Oh, maybe not, bum by I come home and open the pot and find the feet in my miso soup! LOL

jalna said...

Chicken feet in miso soup?? Oh noooooo . . . say it isn't so Mich!

Leslie's pics said...

Man! I was looking for a deer head for my living room!

:) josefina :) said...

That funny looking mango is the Philippine Mango and if you get a sweet one, it is SO.GOOD! sweet, sweet, juicy, sweet! Do you know how much it was?

Betty Townsend said...

Is this the swap meet that is at the stadium? The feet would turn me off...lol! Looks like you all had fun...

jalna said...

HAHAHAHAHA, Les, that's soooo funny!! I'll keep an eye out for another one for you.

Philippine mango, Jos!? Interesting. Don't know how much it was. I'll check it out again next time.

Betty, Kam swap meet is not the stadium one. It's across the street from Pearlridge Mall. I prefer this one 'cause there are more "clean out the closet" kine sellers than ones trying to sell to tourists.

Lance said...

Its been awhile since I've been to the swap meet. Didn't realize they sold all that food. Loved how you played "health inspector" on the sausages...hmmm...maybe I should send one of my inspectors to go check it out.

jalna said...

Got choke food Lance!

Nippon Nin said...

This is a fun post. I felt like I was there. I hope my daughter take me to one of swap meet next time I'm in Hawaii. The Cuisnart pan was real steel. No pan (pun) intended.

jalna said...

Akemi, I hope you get to check out the swap meet next time you're here. I think you'd enjoy it!

Mariko said...

Love the swamp meet at Kam. Something for everyone!
Even deer heads. Wow. Never saw that one before.
Yup-- those were shallots. You can just chop them up like green onions (white and light green parts). I like 'em.
I always do wonder what those crazy greens are though. They have a million veggies I have no idea what to do with. Usually when I ask they tell me the same thing, "Stir fry." I admit I don't usually get stuff I haven't read about though.

jalna said...

So those were shallots, Mariko. Maybe I'll pick up some next time.