Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Didi's Chicken Tsukune


Okay, you guys who wanted recipes from Sunday's gathering.  Here's one for now . . . waaaaay too complicated for me to make myself.   Most unfortunate 'cause it was super, super ono.  Isn't Didi da bomb for sharing her recipe?  I LOOOOVE YOU DIDI!!!

IMG_3217

1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, finely minced
½ lb. ground chicken
3 cloves garlic, minced
1-inch ginger, peeled, grated
3 stalks green onion, finely chopped
2 large eggs
2 slices whole wheat bread, day old, crumbled or ½ c. bread crumbs
2 TB oyster sauce
2-3 TB sriracha sauce, as desired
2 TB soy sauce
 Wooden bamboo skewers, soaked in water 30 minutes

 Teriyaki Sauce:
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup mirin
2 TB sugar
3 cloves garlic, minced
2-quarter size ginger, peeled, grated
2 stalks green onion, finely chopped

 Chicken: In a mixing bowl; combine chicken with remaining ingredients well. Refrigerate 3 hours or overnight.

Teriyaki Sauce: In a saucepan over medium high heat; bring soy sauce and mirin to a boil. Reduce heat; stir in sugar, until dissolved. Add ginger and garlic; simmer 5-10 minutes until slightly reduced. Remove from heat; cool. Add green onion. Set aside.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Shape mixture into 1-1 ½ inch patties. Line patties onto prepared baking sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes. Patties do not need to be cooked through completely. Skewer 2-3 patties on each skewer.

On flat grill, or in skillet over medium heat, cook patties, drizzling with Teriyaki Sauce. Cook until glazed on both sides. Serves 6-8.

Note from Didi: Traditional recipes call for boiling chicken patties/balls before grilling, I think you lose a lot of the flavor by boiling them.

14 comments:

K and S said...

I think it is true about boiling too, again, looks yum!

jalna said...

Kat, I kinda don't understand why you gotta cook it twice anyway.

K and S said...

if you gonna boil um no need grill um and vice versa, yeah??

jalna said...

That's what I'm thinking Kat.

Erick said...

Didi, thanks for the recipe. Looks so ONO!

Dd said...

coz...how else you gonna get that charring and glazing that makes the dish so yummyyy...

jalna said...

Ahhhh, so the second cooking is for the charring and glazing! Wakarimasu.

Betty Townsend said...

Oh, yum!

Susan said...

This looks so good Jalna. I want to know if the Arabiki sausage needs to be refridgerated at all times. I know there is the Chinese sausage that sometimes doesn't need refridgeration until you open it. And where do you buy it in Hawaii? I'm thinking of having my friend pick some up for me : )

jalna said...

So yum, Betty!

I've seen them at Marukai, Susan. I'm pretty sure they need to be refrigerated, but I'll ask Didi the expert to answer for you.

Dd said...

Susan, you can find the arabiki in grocery stores, Times, Don Quixote, Foodland, Marukai. While it is fully cooked,it DOES come refrigerated. There are Rendondo's arabiki hot dogs and sausages, the hot dogs dont have the sheep skin casings on them, no casing at all, so no crunch.

jalna said...

I think that's what I love the most about the sausage. . . da crunch. But wait a minute . . . sheep skin casing? Ewwwww.

Mariko said...

Yummy, this sounds soooo good too! You have such good food taste. We need to get together some time.

jalna said...

Mariko, my sister Didi got the cooking genes. I barely got any.