Saturday, January 1, 2011

Wendell's Shrimp Tempura


I'm still kinda recuperating from the late night on New Year's eve, so I decided to just focus on one dish from my family's New Year's Day gathering for today's post. They'll be more pictures later. Since our theme was Japanese, Wendell made some shrimp tempura.
IMG_9319

I actually prepped the shrimp yesterday afternoon for Wendell. For tempura you gotta get the shrimp long and skinny so that it doesn't curl up. You know how when you stir fry shrimp it shrivels up into a "C". You don't want the "C" for tempura right? The secret is you gotta break up the tendons. Landon taught me this. First you cut tiny shallow slits along the inside of the shrimp (where the legs were before shelling). Then place the shrimp inside down onto a cutting board. With thumb, forefinger and middle finger of both hands, press down on the shrimp until you feel the snap, pressing, pressing, pressing down the whole length of the shrimp. Sorry I couldn't get a shot of how I did it, but as rough as I am on my camera, I didn't want it getting all shrimpy.
IMG_9321


Wendell took everything outside to cook so that the kitchen wouldn't get all oily from the splatter. First he dipped the shrimp into flour.IMG_9346


Then dunked into a batter of 1/2 c flour, 1/2 c cornstarch, 1/2 c water and 1 egg. All shrimp tempura recipes say to keep the batter ice cold. That way, when the cold batter meets the hot oil, it will sear to a crust while keeping the shrimp inside moist.IMG_9348

IMG_9350

IMG_9333

I was so tickled for Wendell that his shrimp tempura came out so good!IMG_9342

10 comments:

Les said...

wow you guys actually have a deep fryer?!?!

jalna said...

Yeah, we do Les. It's not that big, but we don't use it too much 'cause it takes up so much oil.

Betty Townsend said...

Yum! I wish I could eat shrimp tempura...I love it!!

jalna said...

I know, you poor ting, Betty. I always think of you, Susie and Les when I post shrimp recipes.

OkiHwn said...

Nice show and tell!

jalna said...

Awwww, thanks Nate!

eye said...

Yummy pictures! I love shrimp tempura! I always wondered how it stays so straight during frying so thanks for sharing.

jalna said...

Thanks eye!! I never read of my son's method for breaking up the tendons in any of the recipes. My sister Didi said to pound the shrimp. I also read to score it with a knife. But I liked Landon's way. It's pretty easy.

Erick said...

Look so ONO!

jalna said...

Erick, it was the best shrimp tempura Wendell ever made . . . must've been the prepping, yeah!