Thursday, January 13, 2011

Joy's Bread Pudding


Didi gave me this 9 x 13 inch pan. She's embarrassed by the pictures of my beat up bakeware that I have on my blog. Nice yah! So I decided to show it off by making some bread pudding. Try check out CQ's version . . . it was really ono. And there's also Brandee's Bread Pudding . . . winnahs.
IMG_9524

Break up 6 large croissants into pieces and spread in pan.
IMG_9532

Mix 2 cups milk, 5 eggs, 2 tsp. vanilla and 2 cups sugar. Maybe 1 cup sugar is enough . . . came out kinda sweet.IMG_9535

Pour over croissants.IMG_9546

Let sit for about 10 to 15 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 - 45 minutes. I ended up baking it for 35 minutes.
IMG_9550

This is for the topping. It turned out more like a glaze than custard. Melt 1 stick butter and 1 cup sugar. I put it on low heat.IMG_9554

Beat 1 egg with 2 tsp. vanilla in a bowl.IMG_9555

This was the scary part. Add a couple ladles of the butter/sugar mixture to the egg and blend.IMG_9559




Then pour into pot of butter/sugar on stove and mix. You have to do it this way so that the egg doesn't cook. I ended up with choke topping. So maybe you can go 1/2 block butter, 1/2 cup sugar and 1 egg. Might come out more custardy that way too.
IMG_9565

It was sweet but really good. It didn't last too long in my house. I like make um again, but if you read my last post . . . I'm dieting.IMG_9582

16 comments:

K and S said...

I'm dieting too ;)

jalna said...

Yay!!! Company!

Les said...

Looks yummy. I'm glad your eggs didn't scramble in your butter mixture!

Thanks for not giving me a sample. It's nice to have friends like you that don't try and sabotage my diet...LIKE YOSH!! Yah, I hope you're reading this Marvin!! ;)

jalna said...

Hahahaha . . . I'm soooo hungry right now . . . I could just scarf all the fries he bought for you!

mmiissee said...

It looks so good. It makes me wanna make it. I stressed out when I made mines....just cause of the sauce.

Randism said...

mmmmm. bread pudding and coffee; broke da mout!

gracie said...

this looks REALLY good and i always have leftover croissants from costco.

and so sweet of your sister to buy you a new pan! (score!!!)

Erick said...

Ha, ha, nice pan! You look so professional now.

jalna said...

Mmiissee, you should've seen me making the sauce. First melting the butter and sugar, I was like OMG OMG. Is it done? Is it done? Am I gonna get lollipops? Then when I poured it into the egg . . . OMG OMG. Am I gonna get scrambled eggs? I was sooo stressing!

Rand, broke da mouth and the reason why I'm dieting now!

Grayce, nice my pan yah!

jalna said...

Hahaha, Erick, wish I could cook better now.

Betty Townsend said...

YUM! Love bread pudding, easy recipe. It always freaks me out when a recipe calls for adding a milk mixture to eggs.

jalna said...

Betty, it was easy . . . except for stressing about the sauce.

Betty Townsend said...

Meant to say I love your new pan. Don't you almost hate to get it dirty cause its so pretty! I also love your pottery bowls...nice shapes.

jalna said...

I know what you mean, Betty. And I'm so rough on everything, it'll probably get beat up real fast.

gracie said...

yeah, the pan is supa nice!!

randism (randy? hiii!) - breadpudding and coffee is so so perfect for breakfast or after dinner.

jalna said...

Grayce, I'm hungry again . . .