Monday, September 27, 2010

Nohea

I met Nohea's mom Cheryl and her friend Bert at the Garden of Fortune when I returned there to take pictures of Ken Duit, the new owner. Cheryl and Bert were there sharing a coconut . . . yup, one coconut . . . and we got to talking. Bert said that Cheryl was a great cook, especially with Puerto Rican food. I think you already know that food always grabs my attention. The talk then turned to photography and Cheryl mentioned that her daughter Nohea needed to take senior pictures soon, and it was gonna be really expensive. I told Cheryl that I'd be willing to take the pictures, and I'd do it for some Gandule Rice.

Shooting Nohea was an amaaaaazing experience. She brought with her a persona that at once excited and overwhelmed me. All my preconceived, planned out poses flew straight out of the window as soon as I met her. I wondered if there was any way that I would be able to portray her uniqueness. Nohea did it herself.
I was just so fortunate to have been there to record it. The Gandule Rice, by the way, was awesome ono!!

Leslie, words cannot express how grateful I am to you for always being there. Thank you so much for lugging my gear, holding the reflector, helping me through technical difficulties, and for just supporting me.



IMG_7010a

IMG_7028a

IMG_7118a

IMG_6978a

IMG_7003a

IMG_6991a

IMG_6976a

12 comments:

Les said...

Loooove it! Esp "your favorite picture of the day!!" My belly is now full of gandule rice...I never even shared any with Randy! hahahahaa! I couldn't stop eating it!

jalna said...

So ono yah Les! I put our leftovers in a hidden portion of the fridge.

Alamea said...

Wow Aunty Jalna!! I love your photos of Nohea!!! Esp the one with the sunset!!! Your amazing Aunty!!

jalna said...

Thank you Teisy!! I think Nohea kinda looks like you! Love you!!

SW said...

The lighting in your first shot of with the sunset is beautiful! Was this done using your umbrella gear? you are now the master flash photog! :-)

jalna said...

Thanks Shun Wah! Yes, it was done with my new umbrella setup. If you could see me in action you would know that I am sooooo not a master. Good thing Nohea was so patient with my fumbling around.

Erick said...

I love that opening shot! The lighting on your face is so awesome!

jalna said...

Thanks Erick! I brought the flash/umbrella down to just above the level of Nohea's head.

Betty Townsend said...

Beautiful shots!!

jalna said...

Thanks Betty!

Randism said...

wow; doze r some serious tats! cheeze; nowdayz da school pikcha is so different ya? wen i was a kid, u had to take one pikcha dat look like u had to go batch room real bad!

jalna said...

Batch room!!!! Hahahahaha!