Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Landon's Pork Belly without Mochi


One of my favorite things to eat from Palama Market is Pork Belly with Mochi. I blogged about it before here. Actually I usually just eat the mochi and Landon or CQ will eat the pork belly.

Landon made his version of the dish tonight minus the mochi (boooo!) and it tasted really good, almost like Palama Market's.

IMG_1570

Landon said he cut up about 2 pounds of pork belly into cubes and boiled it for one hour. Then he sauteed the pork, one large sliced carrot and 2 cut-up bell peppers in some vegetable oil. He added 2 tbsp of the ko chu jang sauce on the left, 1 tbsp from the container in the middle and 1 tbsp from the jar on the right - all that he could find in our 'fridge. I think they're all ko chu jang sauces, but he thinks not. He then added about 1 tbsp of shoyu, 3 tbsp of sugar and finally when almost pau 1 to 2 tbsp sesame oil to taste. He also said that if he could've found the sesame seeds he would've added some in too.
IMG_1579

10 comments:

Les said...

uuuuu, that looks yummy...but HOT!

Erick said...

That looks so ono! Another recipe I need to try. Thanks.

jalna said...

Les, wasn't spicy at all!

Easy one Erick . . . I think even I could do it.

Betty Townsend said...

jalna...pork betty or pork belly?? This does look good...like Les said HOT! My mother loved pork belly char siu way.

jalna said...

Betty, that is SOOOOOO FUNNY!! I guess I should fix it. Thanks for catching it and letting me know so I no make a$$.

mmiissee said...

Looks hot and good = )

Unknown said...

OO! Looks Good! Maybe might have tasted more like palama market if he added a lil honey? or more sugar? I dunno.i just remembered Julie saying palama may have added honey..gota trust da korean cook! haha. (BTW..ur trick worked! I can comment again! Yeayee!)

jalna said...

mmiissee, was ono!

CQ, I was thinking "honey" too!

Dd said...

Jalna, the Wang brand sauce on the right is made from chili peppers, my Korean girlfriend turned me on to it, instead of the one that comes in the jar with the green screw top, yummm...the other two ko choo jangs are made out of soybeans. I now have them stocked since making your miso soup ;o}

jalna said...

Thanks Didi! I'm glad you're making the Korean miso soup . . . Glenn liked it.