Thursday, March 25, 2010

My New Flash Setup

Flash photography is sooooo hard that my technique continues to evolve. Once I even went to a party with an empty milk gallon jug taped to the top of my flash. The pictures came out nice with very soft diffuse lighting. Milk jugs on top of flashes, however, tend to draw attention, so I only used it that one time. Mostly I just copy what I see other photographers doing. Lately this has been the way I've been using my flash, with the card attachment thing pulled out.

I got to thinking . . . that card thing is so small, what if I had a bigger card. Wouldn't the larger reflective surface be better?
So, I ordered this non-slip velcro thing to put on the top part of my flash.
Then I cut a piece of this hook portion of velcro . . .
and attached it to this card that I cut out of some scrap material I found at work.
I rigged it like this. Kinda funny looking but not nearly as bad as a milk jug.
I tested it out on Kona . . .
and one of his new toys. The pictures came out nice, but it wasn't a real test cause ever since Wendell put in new windows in our bedroom and ever since the neighbors put up a new white vinyl fence, the morning light in the bedroom is just beautiful anyway.
So I took my new contraption with me today to test it out on the T-shirt Theatre kids at Farrington auditorium.
I liked how it worked, and nobody seemed to notice the homemade card thingy atop my flash.

9 comments:

K and S said...

very creative!

jalna said...

Hahahaha! Thanks Kat!

Erick said...

Cool, it really spreads the flash out evenly, all the kids are very evenly exposed. I like make on too. What did you use for the bounce thingy?

Betty Townsend said...

Well, it looks like it is meant to be like that. Who would know if you didn't tell them? Great pictures too! The one of Kona is awesome!

jalna said...

Alright Erick! Then we BOTH can have DYI stuff on our flashes! I used a cardboard thing that comes in our x-ray film boxes.

Betty, I'm glad you think it looks okay. Then maybe nobody else will think it's ghetto . . . ahahaha.

SW said...

great idea..esp. on the faces to show their features w/o blowing it out. My 430ex flash doesn't have a pop up card thingy so it'll be great. So where'd you order that double velcro thing?

jalna said...

I ordered it from B & H. It's a Lumiquest cinch strap. It was $6. It's great cause it wraps around snugly without having to put sticky stuff on your flash.

Randism said...

great idea! and it doesn't have to cost an arm and a knee cap! hey, did you read about this brilliant guy? he's just like you!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1260323/British-aerospace-enthusiast-takes-NASA-style-photographs-using-helium-balloon-pocket-camera.html

jalna said...

Rand, that is UNBELIEVABLE!!